View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
@BetterRed, this is a good idea...
@Rellwood - if you want to do it, here's how I would do it

Backup your library - you'll understand why in a minute, see this ==>> How do I backup calibre?. Close calibre first of course.

Create an Admin Tags column thus;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	138613

Restart calibre - you should get a Restart calibre now option after creating the column and clicking the Apply button.

First select all your books (ctrl/a) in the book list with no active VL or search. Copy the existing Tags column to the new Admin Tags column with Bulk Metadata Edit thus (Note the warning at the top of the dialogue box ) :

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	138614

Now you need to remove the 'admin tag' values from the Tags column, and the 'content tag' values from the Admin Tags column. I would do that via the Manage <categories) feature. In the left sidebar (Tag Browser) right click the Tags heading and you'll get something like this

Name:	CaptureA.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	138628

Remove the 'admin tag values' - multiple items can be selected.

Now do the same thing for the Admin Tags by removing the 'content tag values'

Perhaps the single Admin Tags column might be sufficient. You could group source, location, and status values using first character - e.g. '!' for sources, '#' for locations and '@'for status - I call this bang, crunch, and snail tagging.

You can edit the values in the Manage Admin Tags dialogue by hitting F2 on Tag column cells.

Now you should have two columns each serving there own specific purpose.

I come from the school that says don't overload the same column/field/property/attribute... whatever, with different purposes.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-25-2015 at 05:39 AM. Reason: use Category Manage dialogue rather than Tag Editor dialogue
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote