View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@BetterRed: that is a clever way to clean up the tags. I would have used Search/Replace.

@BetterRed & @Rellwood: It looks like what is desired is a column per purpose where that column can contain at most one value. The purposes listed are source, location, and status. If I am right then it seems to me that the columns should be "Text with a fixed set of values" with appropriate values, and that they should be populated using bulk metadata edit. One way to populate them that is somewhat repetitive but straight forward would be:

Of course the above could be done in two steps per tag category (move then delete) using Search/Replace, but doing so would require using a rather fancy regexp as the search pattern.
@chaley - I'm too lazy to work out one-off RE's, also they can have corner cases that one doesn't stumble upon until 3 days after you've applied the RE to a full set of data.

An alternative route after the initial copy would have been to use the Alter Tag Browser->Manage Tags feature, but there's no Alter Tag Browser->Manage <Custom column> feature.

The best route, IMO, would be to have the Tag Editor one gets in Single Metadata Edit available from the Book List - maybe via Shift/F2.

I too wondered if fixed list values might suit. But I also thought with a bit of smart tag naming, that the single Admin Tags column might suffice. Group source, location, and status values using first character - '!' for sources, '#' for locations and '@' for status - I call this bang, crunch, and snail tagging

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-25-2015 at 04:50 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote