View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 04:51 AM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lisp wasn't so bad, APL was a health hazard.

It's my contention that the IT industry's obsession with programming languages is a major factor that has led to a significant reduction in the number of women in the business. I was taught to program in Autocoder in the early 1960's by a woman, and during the 60's and 70's most of my bosses were women - in technical, real time and commercial systems. And up until the mid-late 1980's, 30-40% of the graduates I employed were women, but then they just disappeared - initially in places like Singapore and India and then UK, Australia etc. After the wall came down I hired some Russian IT people, about half were women - that would have been in the early '90s. Shortly after that I too
got fed up with IT, so I changed tack.

Another factor that has driven women out of IT (by their own confession to me) is the over-emphasis on presentation - particularly in the past twenty years. It used to be - do you know the difference between CICS and Tuxedo, now it's Facebook Snapchat and Twitter

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-11-2017 at 04:56 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote