View Single Post
Old 09-26-2022, 04:05 PM   #1
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Executing calibre searches from a browser extension

A user (Comfy.n) asked about performing calibre searches direct from a browser in the Plugin ideas thread. Being the curious sad person I am I started dabbling with writing a firefox extension to do this using that nice calibre URL scheme stuff:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/url_scheme.html

I have something working locally (sticking plasters and bandaids - don't ask me for a copy of it yet). However I don't know if there is a "less clunky" approach possible as I have no idea how I could nicely even package this all up.

The issue is that it seems the only way (or at least the only way I have come across) to actually send that calibre:// url to the "outside" from a browser on your machine is to use browser.runtime.sendNativeMessage(). And that seems to require...
- some running application which will accept/respond using stdin/out the message sending from the browser. e.g. a python script or node.js script. This can then do the actual process launch with the calibre:// url
- a json file manifest defining stuff including the path the above python script/batch to launch it
- registry entries pointing to the json file

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...dNativeMessage

Just curious if any of the fellow geeks in here have dabbled with writing extensions and have any thoughts/alternatives I may be missing?

The fact that I have something running I can use is a partial win for me, but trying to decide whether I bother to tell anyone else it exists and implement the endless list of stuff that would invariably lead to (multi-browser support, multi-os, keyboard shortcuts, toolbar buttons, configuration options, translations etc).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote