View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 10:53 AM   #63
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The calibre plugin makes it appear that it will (there is an option to enter Fire serial number), and maybe it once worked, but no longer.
I don't know if that ever worked but it certainly does not now. The Kindle app on Fire tablets works like the other Kindle apps in that it uses a unique random factor generated when the app is registered with Amazon as part of the DRM key. The serial number alone is not sufficient to determine the key used to encrypt books.

I have been wondering for awhile why Amazon has not done the same thing with e-ink Kindles. That would certainly close up one of the gaping holes in their walled garden. My concern is that they may think it is unnecessary if they plan to block Kindle book downloads in the future anyway. Or perhaps they just don't care and Kindle owners will continue to get a free pass.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote