View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 04:48 PM   #99
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Two things: The sense memory, again; that satisfying "chunk" when you took a drawer out and put it on a table, and the feel of the index cards as you flipped through them. Oh, and one more -- seeing cards that went way back and were handwritten. The jumble was aesthetically pleasing.

The other was the serendipity of it, as you flipped through the cards you'd run across a book you'd never heard of, but was exactly the kind of thing you wanted to read.
I worked in a college library that still had physical cards and I agree with all of this.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new tools we have, but I definitely benefited from the card catalog back in the day. I also appreciate that with the cards, there was never any record anywhere of what you had searched for.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote