Thread: 2024 Shops Poll
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2024, 05:01 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
#1 (absolute non-negotiable requirement) for me is the ability to remove DRM. #2 (preference) is selection of books that I like. Currently, my best shot at both of these is Amazon. But I'm certainly not beholden to them. As soon as a different vendor pops up that meets my needs better than Amazon, I'll switch. Or I should say, if another vendor pops up that meets my needs equally as well as Amazon but has something else I desire - better ethics, better prices, etc. - then I will switch as well. I have zero "brand loyalty" to any eBook vendor. You would need "brand loyalty" if you didn't have requirement #1 above, but that doesn't describe me - I would simply stop buying eBooks if I was forced into a walled garden with no DRM removal escape. I already own enough to make it through the rest of my life. I often times wonder why I keep buying more (but I have indeed cut back significantly in recent years).
You best shot at being able to remove DRM is with ePub. Amazon could deliver KFX with unbreakable DRM if you download via the website if you have a Kindle able to handle KFX. You just don't know what Amazon will do. If you don't have a physical Kindle, then you may not be able to to remove the DRM from everything you download.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote