View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 05:05 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindle Create is doing what it is designed to do: prepare a KPF to upload to Kindle Direct Publishing. Kindle Previewer is not designed to handle fixed layout KPF files, so you can only produce crippled KFX print replica files with it.

So the best thing is to keep using Send to Kindle so at least the documents are functional.

Getting back to the original issue, the side loading of cover thumbnails for print replica personal documents. I do not think anyone has figured out how to do it.

When calibre side loads books, it generates an ASIN, embeds that in metadata, and generates a file name with this template:

thumbnail_{ASIN}_EBOK_portrait.jpg

One of the PR documents on my Scribe had this name:

KD_Sudoku_TF3_8_v70_0023D87B6C934DE4A0F7DD8E40C3E3 10.kfx

I guessed ASIN might be what is between '_' and '.kfx' and created a thumbnail named this and side-loaded it to /system/thumbnails folder:

thumbnail_0023D87B6C934DE4A0F7DD8E40C3E310_EBOK_po rtrait.jpg

But that did not work; the naming rules are different when downloading personal documents directly.

The thumbnails automatically generated for non-print replica documents (converted epubs etc) do not have filenames that use the above template, but instead generate filenames like this:

thumbnail_6xKKWS.jpg

And this name is different on different Kindles for the same document!

I have not yet looked in the SDR folder to see what clues might be found there. I doubt there is any difference in the KFX files themselves, but have not verified this.

At any rate, while I remain hopeful someone can work out how to generate and side load thumbnails, there are some things to work out.
If I use Kindle Create and create a kdp and then convert to kfx using Kindle Previewer, the thumbnail shows up just fine. So, getting Print Replica KFX files to display proper thumbnail cover art works if you use that process.

Send to Kindle works great. It generates a KFX. I just wish there was a way to edit the kfx metadata.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote