View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 06:20 AM   #984
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonGiesing View Post
I currently have the Kobo driver set up so anything in the default "tags" column becomes a collection which works fine for the most part but my Kobo takes like 2 minutes to load the Collections page cause I have 5000+ tags (I know, I need to go through and fix things)

I was wondering if there was anyway to use a template to read the item count of the tags so it would only create a collection if a tag has been used like at least ~5+ times and ignore tags below that, that should eliminate a good chunk of the 5000+ and keep the most important ones.
Yes, this can be done. But to pontificate a bit before going there, I think this is a waste of time. What is "important"? Given spelling variations such as "Science Fiction", "SF, "SciFi", "Sci-Fi", "Science Fiction and Fantasy", and the like; there is no reason to believe that the limited set of tags is useful information. Example, Gibson's work can be called "Science Fiction - Cyberpunk", "Cyberpunk", "SF Cyberpunk", etc. These tags could easily disappear. What I would do is to first use "Manage tags" and fix spelling variations, which can be done fairly quickly. Better would be to build a hierarchical system that makes sense to you then build collections from the first N levels, where N makes sense to you. This second is what I actually do.

Pontificating aside, one can do what you want with a template-language template but with 5,000 tags it would be excruciatingly slow. This python template doesn't have that problem.
Code:
python:
def evaluate(book, context):
	field = 'tags'

# Get the previously computed set of acceptable items, if it exists
	all_names_over_count = context.globals.get('all_names_over_count')
	if all_names_over_count is None:
		db = context.db.new_api
		all_names_over_count = set()
		counts_by_item = db.get_usage_count_by_id(field)
		for item,count in counts_by_item.items():
			if count > 5:
				all_names_over_count.add(db.get_item_name(field, item))
		context.globals['all_names_over_count'] = all_names_over_count

# Check if the current book has any of the acceptable items
	item_names_in_book = []
	for name in book.get(field):
		if name in all_names_over_count:
			item_names_in_book.append(name)
	return ':@:'.join(item_names_in_book)
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote