Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-16-2024, 03:27 AM   #211
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
My hold became available today, so I went to libbyapp.com, borrowed the book, clicked "Back to Shelf" instead of "Read Now", clicked "Manage Loan" and picked the other ways to read option, and I finally got my ACSM file.

As usual, "progress" has resulted in a system that is much worse than before
I go to mylibraryname.overdrive.com. Quicker and easier.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:28 PM   #212
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
I only read library books if I'm really in no hurry. Why? My local libraries rarely have the ebooks I want and the few they do carry often have waiting lists of *years*. It costs a lot for a library to license a single ebook.
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 02:13 PM   #213
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Related:
https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/...ed_mobile_ads/
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 06:39 AM   #214
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Wow, that's a nothingburger of an article. She just guessed that there was some link between her library checkouts and the ad served, based on them being a genre she considers to be niche.

I can assure you, you get some very niche book genre advertising on social media, regardless of your library checkouts. VERY. *hrm*
Old 05-21-2024, 07:26 AM   #215
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Wow, that's a nothingburger of an article. She just guessed that there was some link between her library checkouts and the ad served, based on them being a genre she considers to be niche.

I can assure you, you get some very niche book genre advertising on social media, regardless of your library checkouts. VERY. *hrm*
Certainly many commentards are sceptical. There are also various ways her reading choices could leak apart from the ebook back end providers.
I'm sceptical that Adobe, Bolinda, Overdrive or Libby would sell or pass on reading habits.

Using Amazon KU or Audible is likely to only be used by Amazon.

Info in Kobo Plus is likely to be only used by Kobo.

I've no idea about Everard (formerly Scribd). I'd be suspicious of the Internet Archive's Open Library because to start with it's ignoring copyright, so ethically selling your habits isn't a big stretch.
Does Google operate a lending Library?

Spotify bought Findaway Voices and now also does audio books. No idea what they are like on privacy but they seem to pay music artists poorly.

Services like Uber do make more money selling your metadata etc than the actual service!

Obviously using Facebook, Instagram, X/Twitter, many social media and Browsers with out various blocking (on many sites), Alexa, Siri, Cortana, Go Google, Clippy 2.0 AKA Copilot (almost an anagram) and AI LLMs is a more likely issue than whatever backend services a US Library uses.

There is no actual evidence in the article.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 12:59 AM   #216
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Certainly many commentards are sceptical.
Weird typo. Did you mean commenters?
Old 05-27-2024, 05:49 AM   #217
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
He might have meant Bstrd Commentors.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #218
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
He might have meant Bstrd Commentors.
Apache
It's a slang derogatory label for people that make comments on the internet that are perceived by some to be stupid or some other waste of bits.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #219
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's a slang derogatory label for people that make comments on the internet that are perceived by some to be stupid or some other waste of bits.
So, I was right.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote