Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
tantalus
tantalus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Got two Kindles

I have a kindle for myself and my wife, this causes some problems when I use Calibre as I have to upload books for myself and also books for my wife. It would be very useful if I could load in two Calibres, one for her and one for me. That way I could keep all of the books separate. Maybe having to log in to Calibre at start-up and then load in the books just for that user. I don't know if I am talking rubbish here but on has to try.

Tantalus
tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just create two separate libraries. Put all your books in one library, and all hers in the other. Then you can switch libraries with a simple click.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The question is whether you want to keep the books separate on the PC (in which case 2 libraries may not be a bad way to go) or simply decide which Kindle should get books as you add them to the library. The latter can easily be managed using the Reading List plugin as you can have separate lists for each Kindle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
An idea you may wish to consider...

- put all of the books in one library

- tag all of your books with your name

- tag all of your wife's books with her name

- some books may well end up with both names, but that's not a problem

- create two virtual libraries one for each tag

I have found that switching virtual libraries is almost instantaneous.

Virtual libraries are a magic way of categorising your books. All of your books are in the one place, and easily administered.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I like Bernard's idea. Using Virtual Libraries is a cleaner solution. They're fairly new, so I tend to think of them less as a solution, but they'd be fine here. Wouldn't work if you need to actually _hide_ books from each other, since there would be the "All Books" virtual library visible. But that doesn't seem to be the issue here. (Might be if you had kids, for example, who shouldn't have access to certain books.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I like Bernard's idea. Using Virtual Libraries is a cleaner solution. They're fairly new, so I tend to think of them less as a solution,
The name is new and it has been polished with various features such as tabs, but the function has been part of calibre for a couple of years. Previously this was referred to as restricted searches and provided the exact same function. I've used restricted searches now Virtual Libraries for years and I agree that Virtual libraries does seem to be an excellent solution for the problem presented.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Hello Walt...

Well, I never even realised restricted searches existed. There is always something to be learned about Calibre. I probably skimmed over restricted searches in the manual without realising their potential.

The day Kovid announced Virtual Libraries, on the other hand, I thought what a great idea! I have now implemented eight of them.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
The day Kovid announced Virtual Libraries, on the other hand, I thought what a great idea! I have now implemented eight of them.
Changing the name to Virtual Libraries and smoothing out their implementation / features greatly increased their visibility.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
tantalus
tantalus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks folks, it is all clear now.

Tantalus
tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote