Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #1
baursak
Enthusiast
baursak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2021) Signature Edition
adding 'Collections' column to Calibre

As Kobo has 'Collections' View in 'My Books' section I would like to sync it's details with appropriate column in library for Kobo on Calibre while connecting Kobo with Calibre via USB cable
- will please someone share code that I need to use to add in Calibre my own custom column with the same Name ('Collections')
- 'Lookup name' , 'Column heading' , 'Column type' , 'Description' , 'Default value'
- I haven't installed anything like KOReader / NickelSeries / NickelMenu, etc. and don't plan to do it
- Just vanilla software

Last edited by baursak; Yesterday at 01:47 PM.
baursak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The collections column can be basically anything you want. If the name (Column heading) is Collections, the lookup name could be collections (#collections in the driver options - as it's a custom column, it needs # before its name there). I use "Shelves" for my Kobo collections, the type is comma separated text like tags, Description and Default Value are empty, as I fill in the column manually for each book (mostly based on genres, like SF, Mystery, Historical and so on). YMMV.

Last edited by Sirtel; Yesterday at 02:22 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #4
baursak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The collections column can be basically anything you want. If the name (Column heading) is Collections, the lookup name could be collections (#collections in the driver options - as it's a custom column, it needs # before its name there). I use "Shelves" for my Kobo collections, the type is comma separated text like tags, Description and Default Value are empty, as I fill in the column manually for each book (mostly based on genres, like SF, Mystery, Historical and so on). YMMV.
I would greatly appreciate screenshots of your approach to this setting window
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Снимок экрана 2024-06-04.png
Views:	26
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	208702  
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the screenshot. The column named Shelves is the one I use for my Kobo collections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04-06-2024 22-20-35.png
Views:	32
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	208703  
Advert
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #6
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra Colour
The kobo driver automatically converts tags into collections. Whenever I need secondary grouping I just put it into the tags field.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
The kobo driver automatically converts tags into collections. Whenever I need secondary grouping I just put it into the tags field.
Yes, but I have tags I don't want to be converted into Kobo collections, so I use a custom column.
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #8
baursak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
today I connected Kobo to Calibre and imported books from Kobo (already assigned there to Collections)
- I see now only 2 columns in Calibre filled with data: 'author' and 'title'
- no 'collections' column
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
today I connected Kobo to Calibre and imported books from Kobo (already assigned there to Collections)
- I see now only 2 columns in Calibre filled with data: 'author' and 'title'
- no 'collections' column
Did you create the column in Calibre? I'm not aware of any method to transfer collections from Kobo to Calibre; it works vice versa.
Old Today, 01:34 AM   #10
baursak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Did you create the column in Calibre? I'm not aware of any method to transfer collections from Kobo to Calibre; it works vice versa.
So I better stop going this way.
Old Today, 01:48 AM   #11
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Yes, but I have tags I don't want to be converted into Kobo collections, so I use a custom column.
Only for your information, there is also a feature in Kobo touch extended to suppress collections.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:48 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja_hbg View Post
Only for your information, there is also a feature in Kobo touch extended to suppress collections.
Yes, I know. But I often create temporary tags for a specific task and I would probably forget to add those to the exceptions every time. It's simpler for me to use a separate column strictly for Kobo collections and nothing else.
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Here is the screenshot. The column named Shelves is the one I use for my Kobo collections.
The feature is no longer called shelves. It's called collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The feature is no longer called shelves. It's called collections.
I know. Shelves is the name of the custom column I use for collections.

Tags
calibre, column settings, kobo, sync, usb