Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2024, 10:18 AM   #1
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Clara
Reading Speed

My normal reading speed is in the range of two days per book to two books per week. Lately, though, I'm going through a slump where I only read a few chapters per day. I'm not having any of those spells of devouring large chunks of a book at a sitting. This happens once in a while.

It's not the book. I'm reading Ordinary Grace by William Krueger and it would normally have me zooming through it. Not now, though.

Anyone else have this type of reading cycles?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 12:28 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The only thing that puts me into a slump usually are odd sorts of stress. Not quite depression but unexplained ennui. Right now is explainable - I have two very sick cats, but back in February, I struggled and there was no particular reason present. I find a couple days of marathoning something on BritBox or Netflix to usually get me over it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2024, 04:37 PM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Currently in a bit of a slump right now. I'm supposed to be reading the Hugo packet, but I've been cleaning up my iTunes library instead (my excuse: the Best Fancast shortlist). I find this sort of data cleansing relaxing.

Work-wise, I'm pretty stressed - we lost 2 team members in quick succession, and I'm up to my eyeballs with statutory work, business as usual, and stupid freedom of information requests wanting multiple years of data we don't record in a structured format. The submission deadline is in 2 weeks, and we'll need to get sign-off...
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 09:12 PM   #4
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
... back in February, I struggled and there was no particular reason present. I find a couple days of marathoning something on BritBox or Netflix to usually get me over it.
Gotcha. I've been watching a lot of New Tricks. Giving the reading muscles a break, I guess.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:59 AM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Gotcha. I've been watching a lot of New Tricks. Giving the reading muscles a break, I guess.
That is a great show.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2024, 10:16 AM   #6
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
That is a great show.
Apache
Your favorite cast?
Old 06-09-2024, 06:23 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Your favorite cast?
The original cast was my favorites, but all were good.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 07:08 PM   #8
arjaybe
Wizard

Just starting this seems to have released the binders. I'm hurtling through the book now. That's usually the way it is. I just slow way down for a while, then ramp up again.
Old 06-11-2024, 07:12 AM   #9
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
For me is not so much that my reading speed has changed but my focus has diminished, so I read less. Since I started reading ebooks I averaged 5 books a week, but last year it dropped to 3 and this year I’m at 1.
I also have struggled to be engaged with books more often, I start a book and it doesn’t grab my attention like before, and I tend to abandon them more often, even some of favorite authors.
I suppose this is the new normal for me as I’m discovering by learning about peri menopause, never would have guesses that it could affect the brain and pretty much all the body systems the way it does.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 09:54 AM   #10
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
For me is not so much that my reading speed has changed but my focus has diminished, so I read less. Since I started reading ebooks I averaged 5 books a week, but last year it dropped to 3 and this year I’m at 1.
I also have struggled to be engaged with books more often, I start a book and it doesn’t grab my attention like before, and I tend to abandon them more often, even some of favorite authors.
I suppose this is the new normal for me as I’m discovering by learning about peri menopause, never would have guesses that it could affect the brain and pretty much all the body systems the way it does.
I agree on the actual reading speed. Even though I read less during my slowdowns, I still read what I read at the same speed.

I don't doubt that the changes during and around menopause can have an effect on the brain. With the large changes in the hormone environment, how could they not? I hope you come out of it one day and return to your accustomed reading rate.
Old 06-11-2024, 11:10 AM   #11
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
My reading speed has slowed down. Mostly because something I read will resonate with my own life history and I space out for five minutes. If there's anything historical mentioned I end up going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole for longer than that.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 12:13 PM   #12
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
My reading speed has slowed down. Mostly because something I read will resonate with my own life history and I space out for five minutes. If there's anything historical mentioned I end up going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole for longer than that.
Authors would swoon if they knew you were reading them.-)
Old 06-11-2024, 01:36 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
That's been my reading life since high school. (Well, the Wikipedia part doesn't go back that far.) General web time also takes a big chunk from my book reading.
Quote:
Authors would swoon if they knew you were reading them.-)
Even though it means I buy fewer books?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 02:17 PM   #14
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That's been my reading life since high school. (Well, the Wikipedia part doesn't go back that far.) General web time also takes a big chunk from my book reading.

Even though it means I buy fewer books?
Yes. Knowing they had that effect would be priceless.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:29 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I also turn to Wikipedia often when reading something historical. Sometimes for hours.

As to perimenopause affecting the ability to focus, yeah. It really does, from my own current experience.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote