Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
DrumFox
DrumFox began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Kobo Libra H2O Release Cycle

Hello! This is my first post. It seems like you guys have a wonderful community .

TL;DR Edition: Given the history of Kobo's release cycles, is now a bad time to buy a Kobo Libra H2O?

Unabridged Edition: I've been reading ebooks on 6" Kindles for the past 6-7 years. I own two at this point, an older base model and a newer Paperwhite. I'm interested in seeing the potential advantages of a 7" reader. The Libra H2O interests me for three reasons:
  1. I'd like to see what it's like to read on a 7" e-reader
  2. I've never owned an EPUB e-reader before
  3. The cost barrier to experiment with a 7" e-reader is lower with the Libra H2O than with the Oasis
I know Amazon has had a fairly regular release schedule, releasing one device a year and whereby it takes three years to refresh a given line.
Does Kobo do something similar? If not, is there any reason to expect that there would be an imminent refresh of the Libra H2O?

Thanks for reading my post!
DrumFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Libra was released in September 2019. I didn't study if there is a regularity in realizes of Kobo devices and it is not simple to imagine the future but anyway I don't think that there would be an imminent refresh of the Libra H2O.

The owners of it in this forum generally are satisfied with it so it is never a bad time to buy a Libra .

The new Kobo device that will be soon released seems to be a new Forma (this is the prevalent opinion in the forum).

About the 7" screen: I have a Kobo Aura One 7.8" screen and there is a very great difference with the other two 6" devices I own. With a 7" screen of course the difference won't be the same but I think that You will note it.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a new Kobo Reader coming out (we think) later this year. We don't know much about it. So you could get a Libra now or wait for the new Kobo and then decide which one you want. Our guess is that it's a Forma replacement. But that is not for sure at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:47 PM   #4
SilentPartner
Out of order
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post

The owners of it in this forum generally are satisfied with it so it is never a bad time to buy a Libra .
I agree.

I had several models of Kobo and it's the one that I liked the most. I don't see what they could add that would make me want to have another one. The 7" screen is the sweet spot for me.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I agree.

I had several models of Kobo and it's the one that I liked the most. I don't see what they could add that would make me want to have another one. The 7" screen is the sweet spot for me.
For me there are things they could change such as go back to the Aura H2O style with a 7" screen and a 1500mAh battery.
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 05:46 PM   #6
SilentPartner
Out of order
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For me there are things they could change such as go back to the Aura H2O style with a 7" screen and a 1500mAh battery.

Please, no.

I love the buttons and the bigger side to hold the Kobo.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Please, no.

Ditto! IMHO, this (Kobo Forma) is the most comfortable ereader to hold that I own (Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Aura One LE, Kobo Libra H2O, and Kobo Clara HD). But I do think I prefer the haptic buttons of the Kindle Voyage, and I love that they are on both sides of the device. C'est la vie!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Please, no.

I've no need for the buttons. As for the bigger side, I'd rather it be symmetrical.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:45 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've no need for the buttons. As for the bigger side, I'd rather it be symmetrical.
Honestly, I cannot think of a way that you could hold an ereader that would make the symmetrical design more comfortable. The first time I picked up the Forma, it just fit in my hand. It was perfectly balance and extremely natural with the page forward button directly under my thumb (though I admit that it took a bit of time to remember to push it rather than swipe with my thumb or tap with the other hand). And swapping to the other hand, just means rotating it at the same time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #10
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Honestly, I cannot think of a way that you could hold an ereader that would make the symmetrical design more comfortable.
If you hold it in portrait from the top middle against the side of your palm. But, the only reason I hold my Kobo like that is because without the notch, it's one of the few comfortable ways to hold it.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
If you hold it in portrait from the top middle against the side of your palm. But, the only reason I hold my Kobo like that is because without the notch, it's one of the few comfortable ways to hold it.
I can't for my life work out how that is comfortable. If I am lying on my side, I will hold the Clara HD on the top corner (which is top depends on which side I am lying on and hence which arm is on top and holding the device) with my forefinger extending along the top edge. Otherwise, I wrap my hand around the back, thumb on one side fingers on the other. My hands are big enough that I can tap to page forward. When they get uncomfortable, I swap to the lower hand (the arm I am lying on) and either wrap my hand around it or hold it similar to when I sit up. The cats prefer this as it leaves the upper hand free to pat them. And I know my place in the household hierarchy.

If I am sitting up, or lying on my back, I will hold the Clara HD cupped in my fingers with the thumb on top. Page turning is tapping or swipe with the thumb depending on which hand I am use. That's reasonable comfortable, but, not as good as the equivalent with the Libra H2O.

The Libra H2O, and the Forma when I was allowed to use it, is better to hold in all circumstances. I would like a "both forward" option for the buttons as I sometimes hold it by the top corner similar to the Clara HD and that makes the top button easier to push. But, this is usually only a short-term thing so I don't want to change the settings at the time.

The only device with a portrait layout and buttons at the bottom I have tried was a Sony and then only in the shops. This was when I first started looking at ereaders. I remember not liking the feel of the buttons, but, I don't really have experience with holding the devices designed like this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:42 AM   #12
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If I am lying on my side, I will hold the Clara HD on the top corner (which is top depends on which side I am lying on and hence which arm is on top and holding the device) with my forefinger extending along the top edge.
Same here.

Quote:
Otherwise, I wrap my hand around the back, thumb on one side fingers on the other. My hands are big enough that I can tap to page forward. When they get uncomfortable, I swap to the lower hand (the arm I am lying on) and either wrap my hand around it or hold it similar to when I sit up.
Alas, my hands are too small to do that without going numb. I hold it from the top so my thumb and maybe my first finger is over the top (as a counterbalance and to turn the page) and the rest of my hand is either flat below (if I'm sitting up) or curled up behind (if I'm more reclined). That way, most of the force is on the thumb and the first finger, and the hand is there to stabilize it.

Quote:
The cats prefer this as it leaves the upper hand free to pat them. And I know my place in the household hierarchy.
My cat likes to lie on his back wrapped up in a blanket on me to sleep, so as long as the edge isn't resting on his belly, he's fine with it. When he's awake or when the other cats want my attention, that's a different story...

Quote:
If I am sitting up, or lying on my back, I will hold the Clara HD cupped in my fingers with the thumb on top. Page turning is tapping or swipe with the thumb depending on which hand I am use. That's reasonable comfortable, but, not as good as the equivalent with the Libra H2O.
So quite similar to what I meant earlier, except that it's my thumb holding it up rather than my fingers. And, I only tap to turn.

Quote:
The Libra H2O, and the Forma when I was allowed to use it, is better to hold in all circumstances. I would like a "both forward" option for the buttons as I sometimes hold it by the top corner similar to the Clara HD and that makes the top button easier to push. But, this is usually only a short-term thing so I don't want to change the settings at the time.
There's a patch for that . But, it's more permanent than a setting, so I guess it isn't a good fit. For me, if I had a Libra, I'd probably use that patch since I rarely need to go back while just reading. When I do need to go back, I usually swipe or use the preview popup (and hold the device differently).

Quote:
The only device with a portrait layout and buttons at the bottom I have tried was a Sony and then only in the shops. This was when I first started looking at ereaders. I remember not liking the feel of the buttons, but, I don't really have experience with holding the devices designed like this.
Yes, the Sony buttons tended to be quite stiff and mushy, but with a faint click. I don't like the overall shape of them either.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:24 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I also find the asymmetrical shape much more comfortable to hold.

Still, I never read while lying down. So my cats can climb on top of me or lie beside me however they want with nothing bothering them. I only read in a sitting position.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote