Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Library offerings = major Kindle turning point, imo

I know there's a few threads on the library change yesterday, but creating a new one only because I feel that this change is so important to the ongoing e-reader wars. At least here in the US, this change has, at least in my opinion, put the final nail in the coffin for the competition.

I am a Kindle 3 owner. But library loans were such a deficiency that my local B&N salesperson would actually bring it up in her sales pitch for the Nook (and rightfully so). And it was something that always made me consider an alternative device, and I even kept my SONY PRS-300 for this purpose. I don't see how B&N, Kobo and the rest of them are going to maneuver around this recent change.

And while I'm very happy for this because I'm a Kindle owner, I'm also concerned because this continues Amazon's dominance over the market. I don't want them to be a monopoly, I want them to have competition. That's because competition is always a good thing for consumers, because it keeps prices low - if the Nook / SONY / Kobo readers eventually die off because of lack of sales, that's a bad thing.

I know this is a Kindle thread, but how do you feel? Do you think that this is a major turning point in the ereader wars? And is there anything that the Nook still offers (other than a touch screen) that the Kindle does not?
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's entirely irrelevant for the vast majority of us, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Saying this puts the nail in the coffin of the competition is a bit of a stretch...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It does remove one of the main advantages that some of the other e-readers had over the Kindle.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

That's why I created the thread - I wanted to get other opinions on this. For me, the library function was an important factor in choosing a Kindle or a device that supported ADE. But, in many parts of the US, this is no longer a factor.

I know that ebook selections are still small versus an ebook store like Amazon / B&N, but as time goes on that will likely change. And at $10 a pop (in general), ebooks aren't cheap. I suppose that a touchscreen is a nice thing to have, but not sure if that would sway me over to a Nook, at this point.
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Library borrowing is a really big deal for the US market. So Amazon is getting close. If they add just two more features (touch screen and direct-to-device borrowing), they'd have the killer eink ereader in my opinion.

BTW, Sony is adding direct-to-device borrowing to their new T1:

Quote:
Wirelessly check out eBooks from your local public library directly to your Reader Wi-Fi®. Simply tap the Public Library icon to easily locate libraries, browse, check out and download eBooks for free. All you need is a library card and an Adobe account. And forget late fees – public library eBooks expire automatically so there's no need to worry.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
roebeet
Connoisseur

Direct-to-device borrowing is one thing I didn't consider - thanks. Yes, that would be a good feature for Amazon to incorporate in the future.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Since this has been mentioned frequently over the last few years, I was wondering when someone would comment on the fact that now that the Kindle has library lending, "Where's the beef?" It seemed to be a big handicap to Kindle ownership for many people. Will those folks buy a Kindle now?

I do like the idea of direct library lending from the device. When is this going to happen for the Sony T1?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
There are a lot of people who chose other e-reading devices because the Kindle did not have library borrowing. I almost bought a different reader myself because of that limitation, but I ended up choosing Kindle for other reasons.

I believe that the addition of Kindle library borrowing is now a major selling point, and I expect that Amazon tablets/Kindles are going to be very big sellers this holiday season!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Say you go on vacation and you don't have access to a computer, but you do have wifi access. If you have a Sony WiFi PRS-T1, you can still get your eBooks from the library when they are ready. But if you have a Kindle, you are well and truly screwed. You will then have to go to the back of the waiting list as you need a computer to get library eBooks for the Kindle. So when you end up going to the back of the line, you'll wish you had a T1 instead of a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Say you go on vacation and you don't have access to a computer, but you do have wifi access. If you have a Sony WiFi PRS-T1, you can still get your eBooks from the library when they are ready. But if you have a Kindle, you are well and truly screwed. You will then have to go to the back of the waiting list as you need a computer to get library eBooks for the Kindle. So when you end up going to the back of the line, you'll wish you had a T1 instead of a Kindle.
I agree. But I could buy the book with my 3G. I like the idea of what the T1 is going to do; when does it come out?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
If the book were that important, I'd download it to my iPod touch and read it later on my Nook Color. Problem solved.

BTW, I never take my Kindle on vacation.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Theoretically yet; practically, Libraries have there own issues (waiting time; expired book by publisher, etc.).
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Come on guys. Let's be realistic. These things hold hundreds, if not thousands of books. When was the last time any of you were sitting out on the river on a sunny Saturday afternoon, finished your book and had absolutely nothing more to read and had to use 3G to download a new book?!

If this has happened to you, I say extremely poor planning and poor organizational skills are a bigger issue for you than your choice of ereader. That and the fact that you need to find something better to do with your time when you're on the river, at the beach, on vacation, etc.

Come on Jon. Buddy I'm with you on the whole crappy quality of many ebooks issues but this constant Kindle bashing in favor of the almighty Sony is getting a little old and really lowering your credibility with many. If you are so dead-set against the Kindle, why do you constantly lurk on the Kindle boards? Please, for all of us, go back to the Sony boards and sing its praises there because, honestly, I don't believe any of us care.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
roebeet
Connoisseur

Direct to device is nice, as well as a touchscreen, but I really don't see either as critical. For the former, all you need is a web browser and I don't see that as being all that hard - wouldn't this work on your phone's browser? Or a tablet with Wifi?

Using the vacation scenario, my Kindle can hold hundreds (if not thousands) of books, and if I have to get a library rental right away because my book just came in, it's unlikely that I won't have access to a web browser of some kind.

As for the touchscreen, it's really unused most of the time. Page flipping on the side button is fine for me. It's a nice add on, but I don't see it as a dealbreaker between a Kindle or a Nook / SONY Reader.