Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
g_man
g_man began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Handling names that start with St (meaning saint)

the library seems to have problems displaying names where the LN starts with St. eg, Edward Rutherfurd is displayed in the meta data screen as "Rutherfurd, Edward" and in the library screen as "Edward Rutherfurd". Ellie St Clair is displayed in the meta data screen as "St Clair, Ellie" and in the Library screen the same way. Have tried putting a period (full stop) after the "St" result is the same. If I use "Saint Clair" the name is sorted under C not S Any ideas?
g_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
There might be a magic fix it but I just eliminated the space between St and Clair (StClair). Alternatively, spell St out (Saint Claire). I have the same problem with van and von. It's your library. I put Van Dyke as VanDyke because it's the only way I would find that author in a lineup anyway.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can manually change the sort for any author by right clicking on it in th e Tag browser or Book details panels and choosing Manage author
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have Author names as FN LN, and Author sort names as LN, FN. I fix any 'errors' like yours in Manage Authors, e.g. I would change Author sort from "Clair, Ellie St" to "St Clair, Ellie".

St xxxxxx names are sorted on the 'St' not on what follows it, same with Garcia xxxxxx names - i.e. they are not like leading articles in titles.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:39 AM   #5
g_man
g_man began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks everyone for your help. Edited in manage authors and "St." books now under "S".

Too bad Kobo reader ignores this. Will have to find a Kobo reader forum lol.

But at least my calibre library is sorted properly

Thanks again!
g_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_man View Post
Thanks everyone for your help. Edited in manage authors and "St." books now under "S".

Too bad Kobo reader ignores this. Will have to find a Kobo reader forum lol.
Kobo assumes the author is "FN LN". And in this case will only take "Clair" as the surname. The workaround is to connect the "St." and "Clair" together somehow. You can use a metadata plugboard to do this. There has been discussion of how to do this in the Kobo forum. Using a nonbreaking space might work, but, I don't remember for sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote