Notices

Old 06-02-2024, 01:57 AM   #1
baursak
Enthusiast
baursak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2021) Signature Edition
Managing Collections

1. Kobo UI is careless to keep position of reading when I reach end of a book
- e.g. I reach 100% and status switches to 'Finished', but next time it suddenly resets to 0% (or book's cover) and switches to 'Unread'
2. Sometimes I start to read a book and soon understand that don't like to continue for some reason
- but status is 'Read' and progress is not 0%
* Therefore (like in Kindle library) I have created 3 Collections ('in progress' , 'to read' and 'done'), but I have something like a feature request (if only it's not already implemented)
3. to see a list of books that are not in any of Collection (e.g. Kindle marks such 'uncollected' books as members of Collection with name 'Uncollected' in Kindle mobile apps at least)
4. to see appropriate Collections for every book, to which the book belongs
5. to have a chance to assign to a Collection several book at once (not one by one) - like sublist with checkboxes when I 'Manage Books' or 'Manage Downloads'
baursak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 03:05 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
- e.g. I reach 100% and status switches to 'Finished', but next time it suddenly resets to 0% (or book's cover) and switches to 'Unread'
2. Sometimes I start to read a book and soon understand that don't like to continue for some reason
* Therefore (like in Kindle library) I have created 3 Collections ('in progress' , 'to read' and 'done'), but I have something like a feature request (if only it's not already implemented)
3. to see a list of books that are not in any of Collection (e.g. Kindle marks such 'uncollected' books as members of Collection with name 'Uncollected' in Kindle mobile apps at least)
5. to have a chance to assign to a Collection several book at once (not one by one) - like sublist with checkboxes when I 'Manage Books' or 'Manage Downloads'
Point 5 is already in the firmware. You edit the collection and add/delete all the books you want.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2024, 03:23 AM   #3
baursak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Point 5 is already in the firmware. You edit the collection and add/delete all the books you want.
Thank you! It's great 👍
Old 06-02-2024, 04:59 AM   #4
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
You can mark the status to "Finished" again when you open again a book you already finished.

Quote:
I'm not sure what behavior you wish to have: a "DNF" status?

Quote:
Click on the three dots next to a book, then to "manage collections" and you can check in which collections the book is into (and add the book to other collections or remove it from one)
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:27 AM   #5
baursak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
You can mark the status to "Finished" again when you open again a book you already finished.
and again, and again, and again... - through dozens of books...

Quote:
I'm not sure what behavior you wish to have: a "DNF" status?
what is 'DNF' status? - I cannot decipher this abbreviation.

Quote:
Click on the three dots next to a book, then to "manage collections" and you can check in which collections the book is into (and add the book to other collections or remove it from one)
[/QUOTE]

I would like to see status (added to a Collection or no) in the list at a glance, not tapping on books one by one. - Like in Kindle Web page
Advert
Old 06-02-2024, 05:49 AM   #6
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
and again, and again, and again... - through dozens of books...
Well... don't open again a book you already read?
I'm confused about what kind of behaviour you expect. Once you finish a book, the status is 100% Read.
And it remains the same as long as you don't open it again. When you open it again, it resets to "Reading" and the % matches your reading location.
How can the software know if you opened it by mistake or if you are actually gonig to re-read that book?
The best it can offer you is to reset the status to what you want (Unread or Finished)

Quote:
what is 'DNF' status? - I cannot decipher this abbreviation.
Did Not Finish.

Quote:
I would like to see status (added to a Collection or no) in the list at a glance, not tapping on books one by one. - Like in Kindle Web page

Well, what you are asking now is different from what you asked in your list at the beginning (having a way to know ALL the collections a book has been inserted into).
If you want to have a list with a generic info about a book being in "any collection" (yes/no), that information would be useful only if you have auto-exclusive collections.
To know I had a book added into "a collection" when my collections cater to very different lists would be just a waste of screen space in my case, ie. If I'm unsure about which collections I collected a specific book into, I will just check case by case (or even better, I check them on Calibre, but that's another matter).
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 06:38 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This NEVER has happened to me, so or something is wrong in the database or there is an adittional action because I'm talking about more than 5 years with Kobo readers, more than one and reading and loading a lot of books.

Quote:
This happens to me a lot but, as soon I leave the book, I mark the book again as Unread, so it's not such a burden.
Old 06-02-2024, 06:51 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

And another option: load temporaryly books in calibre, sync it with kobo so both book are seen like the same (or I think you can load a book from device to library, I'm not sure as I don't use it) and use KoboUtilities to update metadata in device. After that, you can remove the book from calibre and not using it anymore.

Tags
checklist, collection, kobo