Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
What would you ideal Kobo reader look like?

For me:

Screen size: somewhere between 9 and 10 inch diagonal - flush with body

Screen type and resolution - 300dpi similar to that of the Forma (unless something better comes along)

Lighting - comfortlight pro or something better

Weight - 225g or less

Body - flat , buttons at bottom edge (think of a Forma with the buttons on the shorter edge) and the whole body flat and not angled like on the Forma

Charger - at top, usb-c for future compatibility?

On/Off switch - at top next to charger/data input or at top on the back like Aura One

Audio - definitely not at the price of addition weight or cost

Software - Allow for more customizable Home Screen and more user interface options.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:51 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
For me, take the original 6" Aura, give it the Clara's color-changing frontlight and screen. 8-16GB internal storage and make it waterproof.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2019, 04:03 AM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Take the Forma replace the screen with an 8 inch one from ClearInk black and white with a matte top layer possibly waiting until they get it up to 300DPI though the 220 they showed off looked pretty crisp. Make the built in storage 32gb as a base with a 64gb option. Change the page turn buttons so it’s two separate buttons rather than one long piece. Return the micro SD card slot. Maintain the waterproof status.

Software wise

Let me control the home screen, if I want it to be just books I’m currently reading with text only sections for getting quick access to my books and the Kobo store.

Allow the text to be adjustable in the following ways
1) tweak the weight and sharpness of even user loaded fonts
2) allow the margins to be reduced on all sides so text runs right to the edges of the screen.

Invert/night mode which is smart and doesn’t invert images be they covers or images within the book

Screensaver

And the various other tweaks I’ve made from other patches available here
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:30 AM   #4
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
It would look and act just like a Kobo Aura One, so that's lucky.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:01 AM   #5
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Mini with a light.

(not gonna happen though)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The Aura One shape/form factor, but with the Forma improvements, with regards to touch screen, image rendering quality and battery life. (since the
Forma technically has a smaller battery, I guess this one comes down to more efficient lights.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The Aura One shape/form factor, but with the Forma improvements, with regards to touch screen, image rendering quality and battery life. (since the
Forma technically has a smaller battery, I guess this one comes down to more efficient lights.)
The specs I can see, both the Aura ONE and Forma have a 1200mAh battery. So, I'm not sure how this is "technically has a smaller battery". The battery life improvements are possibly the LEDs, but the Forma also has a newer CPU that might be more efficient.

And I'm surprised about the comment on image rendering quality. If they are running the same firmware version, the really should be no difference. I can't think of any comments made about this (which just means someone will point to a thread I participated in, but forgot about).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
When the Forma released there was a whole lot of comparing the screens. Though I don’t recall the ‘winner’ of those comparisons. I suspect it comes down to individual units.

I no longer have my Aura One (gave it to an aunt and uncle when I got my Forma) but from what I can recall I didn’t notice a vast change in screen clarity. There were some other advantages of the Forma but I did write up a brief review somewhere here and suggested that for the majority of Aura One owners upgrading would be more of a side grade. I stand by that even now.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
There are several features that will be decisive:

- an "Advanced settings" menu that allows to enable the existing patches without using a PC to patch (this will interest the not-geek users). This will make kobo a unique device
- possibility to choose a custom screensaver in both sleeping and turned off modes
- Easier extraction of the micro sd card. All with an official software that restores a micro sd. This will make even a compleately bricked device softwarely undestroyable
- several highlight styles and fast highlighting
- handle well the .docx format. (if possible like a kepub)
- handle pretty fast the pdf
- function that automatically reads the custom folders in the device and manages them in collections
- a firmware with the touch calibration
- allow search on extra dictionaries without pacth the ereader (with custom order of search)
- highly customizable popup windows of the dictionary

- a swift system of bookmarks like kindle or better
- overlay with a rubber-plastic layer (about 1 mm thick) the four corners of the device, so to create a tough and original cover

- multi-core processor
- 2 GB RAM

Last edited by Owl_; 10-06-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #10
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Something with a touchpad on the back that you can touch with your finger like the PS Vita, it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something you tap to turn the page, except its on the back of the device, it would be so comfortable to use especially for fast readers.

Likewise a simple mic whereby you could click your tongue to turn the page, that ones probably for people who live alone though!
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I want an 8" that is affordable at 32GB or 64GB under $250 and can hold audiobooks. Wireless charging Qi-compatible a must otherwise the KOBO ereaders are near perfect.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The specs I can see, both the Aura ONE and Forma have a 1200mAh battery. So, I'm not sure how this is "technically has a smaller battery". The battery life improvements are possibly the LEDs, but the Forma also has a newer CPU that might be more efficient.

And I'm surprised about the comment on image rendering quality. If they are running the same firmware version, the really should be no difference. I can't think of any comments made about this (which just means someone will point to a thread I participated in, but forgot about).
Grey Scale dithering on the Aura One in Kepub leaves patterns that are very visible to the naked eye. All the other Kobo models, including the older, low res devices) have a randon dithering that, to me at least, least, is almost completely transparent.

It's usually not much of an issue, you don't use a Kobo to look at colour images, and the Manga's are mostly B&W line art. But having noticed it, it was always a bit of sore tooth. The Touch screen issues were by far the worst though.

I was under the impression that Aura One had a 1300 mAh battery. I can't find a source now, and my mistake if that's not the case. Either way, the Forma is noticeable better. The battery life of the Aura One was *way* less than the smaller battery would account for compared to the previous generation H20. This is something I attributed to the Aura 1 using RGB LED's, (even if comfort light was turned to the lowest colour temp, the Aura One still uses the RGB led's to create white light.). Later generations of Comfort light replaced the RGB leds with orange / Dark Yellow LED's, and the battery life in terms of reading hours almost doubled.

I have no actual facts to back up this idea/impression.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Something you don't have to hold.

Something directly connected to your brain (or to your brain's visual cortex).

Something where forgetting what you have read is a ”2019 problem”. You're able to remember every word.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #14
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
5" Mini
300ppi
Frontlight
Waterproof
Weighs 135g or less

A man can dream can't he?
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:55 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Mini with a light.

(not gonna happen though)
Me too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote