Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-15-2023, 08:07 AM   #1
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
Syncing Pocketbooks with Calibre

Hi,
I've just got a new Pocketbook Era after my HD3 is slowly dying. Before I configure it I'd like to review my syncing strategy. I manage all my books with Calibre and use Dropbox to sync books to my HD3. I don't want to use a cable connection.

The set-up works in principle but has a few issues. Some time back I also wanted to use the Pocketbook app on my Android phone. So I set up Pocketbook Cloud for syncing between the app and the HD3. This did not work well in combination with Dropbox and caused books to get duplicated. I have now discovered that I can also connect the app with Dropbox. Only drawback here is that it does not sync reading statuses.

Mostly I use Koreader so not syncing Pocketbook reader status is not such a big issue. But the Koreader has some other problem in connection with Dropbox. The .sdr files saving the reading status get duplicated all the time. When I discovered this I had thousands of .sdr files on my reader and Dropbox. This seems to be some problem with Dropbox syncing with apps. I found this mentioned a couple of times in Google but never found a way around. I moved all the .sdr files in the config central folder (new Koreader option since a couple of months ago) to avoid the duplicating but this now also prevents syncing those files between HD3 and Era.

Long story short: What are others out here doing to sync books between Calibre and multiple Pocketbook devices and app? Is there any best practice way to do it? Any new developments in Calibre I may have missed?

I wonder if using the Koreader Android app instead of the Pocketbook app would help? So far I have not tested the app yet as I was reluctant to sideload.
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:46 AM   #2
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
Some one made a better version of my PocketBook koreader sync. Check ot out here
https://github.com/ckilb/koreader-po...sync/tree/main

I'm guessing that the koreader position doesn't exactly sync to pocketbooks native reader. I say this because of fonts size differences, margins etc

For the SDR issue. Read this it may help
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9265

I wouldn't be hesitant on using KoReader on android. It's completely safe. Just make sure to download from KoReader.rocks
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:15 AM   #3
Kleki
Connoisseur

I've read up on the latest developments on the SDR issue. But still the only solution seems be the one I've already found: move all SDRs to a central folder outside Dropbox at the expense that it then cannot be synced to other devices anymore.

The koreader sync I'm going to test.

But still: Is Dropbox the only non-cable way currently to move books from Calibre to Pocketbook devices? Any way to connect Calibre to the Pocketbook Cloud or other methods?
Old 08-18-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
Not that I know of. I wish one drive was supported
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 05:37 PM   #5
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleki View Post
I've read up on the latest developments on the SDR issue. But still the only solution seems be the one I've already found: move all SDRs to a central folder outside Dropbox at the expense that it then cannot be synced to other devices anymore.

The koreader sync I'm going to test.

But still: Is Dropbox the only non-cable way currently to move books from Calibre to Pocketbook devices? Any way to connect Calibre to the Pocketbook Cloud or other methods?
I use the Pocketbook browser to connect to Calibre's server, which lets you download books from Calibre to the ereader. (If you download to the ereader, Pocketbook seems to upload it to the pocketbook cloud by itself.

I also use Calibre's email option ("connect/share") to email books to pbcloud and then use the ereader's connection to the cloud to download the books.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:28 AM   #6
Kleki
Connoisseur

Thanks slm. I don't like the browser method but I will try the email method. Have you experienced any negative side effects with that?
Old 08-21-2023, 07:41 PM   #7
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
No negatives that I've noticed. (But, then again, I don't see any downside to using the calibre server through the Pocketbook browser either.)
slm is offline   Reply With Quote