Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 03:16 PM   #1
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
Error in azw3 books with negative margins to reduce them

Hi All
I retake this topic from Calibre forum because maybe here thare are more possibilities of answer.
With my Scribe I'm using this option in Calibre (styles --> additional css), when converting from epub to azw3, in order to get desired margins:

html {
margin-right: -130px;
margin-left: -130px;
break-inside: avoid !important;
}

After updating a PW, I could see that this option caused an error when opening the book, or trying to change fonts: the one I indicated at the beginning of this thread:
"An error occurred. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from the Cloud"

In order to avoid this behavior with my Scribe, I stay on an old firmware version because don't know if this error is going to be repeated in the Scribe.

My question is: can someone who has 5.16.6 release or latest in a Scribe, confirm if this happens as well? Someone who uses Calibre and transfers the books through it. I'd like to avoid upgrading if I can no longer use the margins I like, because I won't be able to downgrade it.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2024, 03:47 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Try a percentage -1.5% or only in the body text, not the html property, though that might be more work.
Leave out the
Code:
Old 02-11-2024, 06:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Try a percentage -1.5% or only in the body text, not the html property, though that might be more work.
Leave out the
Code:
Do not leave that out. I don't recall why it's there. But it is there to fix a bug in some version firmware at the time and for all we know, the bug could still be there.

I use this and it works. I've even used it on a PW5.

Code:
html {
  margin-right: -45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
}
Old 02-11-2024, 07:16 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Please don't cross post. Report a post and ask for it to be moved.
Closed Thread