Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-15-2024, 02:35 PM   #16
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Is it possible you already had a calibre library in OneDrive from an earlier time?
I'm trying to delete the old folders, but they keep coming back
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:37 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I'm trying to delete the old folders, but they keep coming back
Stop syncing while you delete them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 03:37 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is why you never ever have an active calibre library in any directory that's set to sync.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:08 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why not use freefilesync to do the sync (mirror) to your laptop?
Assumes you can see the other on your local LAN.
Another PC is my backup. I simply make sure Calibre is not running on both.
Fire off the sync and wait. The scan for what changed takes more time than the actual book transfer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:10 PM   #20
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I am now very confused

I have got a Calibre folder in my laptop

If I choose Use a previously existing library and click on the Calibre books folder I get, no existing library
Old 05-15-2024, 04:10 PM   #21
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why not use freefilesync to do the sync (mirror) to your laptop?
Assumes you can see the other on your local LAN.
Another PC is my backup. I simply make sure Calibre is not running on both.
Fire off the sync and wait. The scan for what changed takes more time than the actual book transfer
Haven't got a local LAN
Old 05-15-2024, 04:15 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Haven't got a local LAN
Then how are you getting to Onedrive??
Old 05-15-2024, 04:26 PM   #23
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Then how are you getting to Onedrive??
'Cos it comes up in explorer
Old 05-15-2024, 07:53 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
'Cos it comes up in explorer
A LAN (wired or WiFi) is on your side of a router. A WAN is the other side (world?) A LAN can be in a public place (Avoid sensitive use) or Private like your home (not shared with your neighbors / dorm mates)
Old 05-16-2024, 04:32 AM   #25
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
A LAN (wired or WiFi) is on your side of a router. A WAN is the other side (world?) A LAN can be in a public place (Avoid sensitive use) or Private like your home (not shared with your neighbors / dorm mates)
I know that, I just don't have a local network set up for transferring files between computers

I'm now Googling how to do this, but the guides I'm finding are always different to what my PC comes up with.

Is there a simple guide as to how to set up a network so I can share files between my PC which is connected by cable to the router, and my laptop which is using WiFi to connect to the router?

Last edited by Chocky; 05-16-2024 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:58 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If they use a common access to the Internet you have a LAN (cabled and/or WiFi). You only don't have a LAN if each thing only connects with its own internal cell/mobile connection and SIM.

Transferring between computers needs extra settings as well as the LAN. One method is a 32G to 512G USB memory stick on a box (router) that connects to Internet if it has that feature. Such a box has a web page only locally accessible to configure that.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:03 AM   #27
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If they use a common access to the Internet you have a LAN (cabled and/or WiFi). You only don't have a LAN if each thing only connects with its own internal cell/mobile connection and SIM.

Transferring between computers needs extra settings as well as the LAN. One method is a 32G to 512G USB memory stick on a box (router) that connects to Internet if it has that feature. Such a box has a web page only locally accessible to configure that.
My PC is connected by cable to the same router the laptop connects to by WiFi

I would have hoped that I could set up a local private network between the PC and the laptop to enable file sharing, but along with all the other stuff that's going wrong I'm getting very, very, frustrated.

Not only the Kobos will not connect, the Logitech KB and mouse will not connect via the receiver, the PC will not recognise it when plugged in even though I get the Win 11 beep.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:09 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My PC is connected by cable to the same router the laptop connects to by WiFi
So you have a LAN.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:19 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I would have hoped that I could set up a local private network between the PC and the laptop to enable file sharing, but along with all the other stuff that's going wrong I'm getting very, very, frustrated.
Setting up file sharing on Windows is simple. In fact it's often on by default and shouldn't be!

Something is very borked. You have my sympathy.

I used to download and run this on Windows. It's very good.
https://silentrunners.org/

Also looking at "run" locations in registry and device manager after booting in safe mode is good.

Somehow, something that shouldn't be there is installed.

You can verify the "faulty" Win 11 HW is OK by downloading Linux Mint 21.3 for USB stick on the working properly computer and using an ISO writing utility to make a bootable USB stick.
Then boot the "misbehaving" PC from that and verify the Kobo appears on its desktop. No need to install anything.

I keep one handy to boot PCs no matter which OS they are runnning as I can then edit the installed OS (win98, XP, win7, Win10, any Linux, etc) files or copy stuff to fix it and then reboot.

No need to install.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:02 AM   #30
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
You could try Warpinatior works with Linux. Windows and Android. It is very secure.

bernie
Quote:
I know that, I just don't have a local network set up for transferring files between computers

I'm now Googling how to do this, but the guides I'm finding are always different to what my PC comes up with.

Is there a simple guide as to how to set up a network so I can share files between my PC which is connected by cable to the router, and my laptop which is using WiFi to connect to the router?
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote