Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-28-2024, 11:37 PM   #1816
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
My god, the Sims 2 is such a pain sometimes on modern hardware. It can be running fine for a while, then it hits some limit and suddenly I get pepto-bismol ghosts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	stupidstupidgame.png
Views:	34
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	206083

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-28-2024 at 11:48 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:08 PM   #1817
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Mouse hover popups that cover up the link that I am trying to get to no matter what direction I am coming from.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2024, 03:12 PM   #1818
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Mouse hover popups that cover up the link that I am trying to get to no matter what direction I am coming from.
I have something similar on my smart phone: The Assistant Menu. It is a small icon (about the size of an app icon) that contains icons for items that you want to get to quick, such as setting the volume and doing screenshots (when you tap it all of the items appear). You can move it around the screen, but it is always on top of everything else. I put it on the screen because it was the only way I found that I could set my phone so that I can tap an item rather than having to swipe it.

Unfortunately, for some reason the icon often seems to be right over the item I want to select such as a number on the 12-digit numeric keypad, the icon for an app I want to use, or the keys on the regular keypad.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:40 PM   #1819
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah Sims 2, you and your glitches.

Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sims2EP9RPC 2024-03-03 19-04-06-80.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	206709
Old 03-05-2024, 12:17 AM   #1820
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Helped a friend troubleshoot a Linux distribution (Void Linux) on their new computer and while the OS was stable, the customized packages need a lot more testing. Items such as their Chromium based browser refusing to connect to the Internet with an error message that made no sense to us. I ended up using my laptop to troubleshoot the error which basically amounted to the browser/network stack thinking it was on an open WiFi network and considering that to be a security issue. After a couple of hours, got it up and running and then installed calibre from binary using the command line from Kovid Goyal's site. Got the usual packages needed message, installed them and finally success. Of course, we then ran into issues with calibre's ebook viewer showing a blank screen. Wayland has been around to 17 years and still does not seem ready for prime time.

At that point, I practiced some of my vocabulary words, wiped the hard drive and installed openSUSE since I had the USB stick on hand. So far, that has been a better experience for them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2024, 12:25 AM   #1821
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At that point, I practiced some of my vocabulary words....
Ha! It seems our lives occasionally run parallel. I'm also IT support for friends and family. I dread large family gatherings at Christmas due to the sheer volume of new gadgets I'll be bombarded with to fix/configure. I've not thrown one at a wall yet (gadget or relative) but have been close.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 12:47 AM   #1822
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I've not thrown one at a wall yet (gadget or relative) but have been close.
It might be a good way to get out of future support requests, though. (Or maybe just arrested.)
Old 03-05-2024, 02:55 AM   #1823
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
It might be a good way to get out of future support requests, though. (Or maybe just arrested.)
Likely both.

I'll keep my tech rage confined to the walls of my imagination methinks.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:58 AM   #1824
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess we can look forward to a Holodeck where we can vent our rage as much as we want...provided the Holodeck doesn't fight back.

Of course, there's that Night Gallery episode named "You Can't Get Help Like That Anymore" where a couple abuses their robot servants (they often get sent back in pieces). The Company Head notices that their robots start to develop survival instincts, and the Head Tech says to warn the couple to take out their rage on something that can't hit back. It doesn't go very well.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:05 PM   #1825
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I guess we can look forward to a Holodeck where we can vent our rage as much as we want...provided the Holodeck doesn't fight back.
Oh, it'll malfunction and try to kill you at some point.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:54 PM   #1826
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post

Of course, there's that Night Gallery episode named "You Can't Get Help Like That Anymore" where a couple abuses their robot servants (they often get sent back in pieces). The Company Head notices that their robots start to develop survival instincts, and the Head Tech says to warn the couple to take out their rage on something that can't hit back. It doesn't go very well.
Quote:
Oh, it'll malfunction and try to kill you at some point.
That seems to be a problem with the Holodeck in Star Trek: The Next Generation. It is made even worse when the holograms can leave the Holodeck (see Professor Moriarty).
Old 03-05-2024, 10:26 PM   #1827
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

The Original Series also had a holodeck malfunction episode, despite the distinct lack of a holodeck. It was... very strange.

The Animated Series also had a malfunction in one episode (though they called it a 'recreation room' rather than a holodeck).

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-05-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:54 PM   #1828
neil_swann80

I might trigger a few people here... but printer ink!

The price, how quickly it dries up, chips in cartridges that prevent third party options and refilling... and did I mention PRICE!

Some multifunction printer scanner units won't even let you scan if there's no ink...
Old 03-06-2024, 12:57 PM   #1829
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I might trigger a few people here... but printer ink!

The price, how quickly it dries up, chips in cartridges that prevent third party options and refilling... and did I mention PRICE!

Some multifunction printer scanner units won't even let you scan if there's no ink...
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2020/06...e-toner-in-me/
Old 03-06-2024, 01:03 PM   #1830
neil_swann80

Quote:
Ha! Nice.

But add the "no toner but there actually is" to the list.