Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am really enjoying the DXG. I like the larger screen and find that it is perfectly portable.
I'm with you. I like a lot of words on a page.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have read using a pda and an ebook reader that had a 6 inch screen. I have tried my friends kindle dx and I find the size to large for my likes. I am betting on and hope that my kindle 3 will be the right size. To be honest I have not gotten my kindle yet but I do have the case and I believe that I have chosen correctly.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
I just played with the Sony PRS-350 and the size and weight are just perfect. The weight in your hand is just amazing! A lot of people want an e-reader to display the same size page as a paper book. Why? Seeing just a few paragraphs per page works fine for me. And the touch screen requires no pressure and perhaps 1/4 inch swipe to turn the page... Like I said perfect for me. YMMV.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
GA Russell
Bombers, Lions 0-1
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
pdurrant, I wonder if the upcoming jetBook Mini will be up your alley.

I have both a 5" and a 6" device, and I have come to prefer the size of the 5" screen.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #20
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
And the touch screen requires no pressure and perhaps 1/4 inch swipe to turn the page...
Does this mean you can read one-handed? I.e. irrespective of which hand you hold the reader with, you can swipe to turn the page with your thumb?
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
My JBL has a 5" screen and fits very nicely into my pants pocket.

Anyone actually measure the size of a pocket?
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #22
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
Does this mean you can read one-handed? I.e. irrespective of which hand you hold the reader with, you can swipe to turn the page with your thumb?
Absolutely! It's incredibly easy to do.

My original eReader was the Sony 505. Got the 600 because I really liked all of the touch screen stuff... but found it irritating to read on under most lighting conditions. On a lark I got the 300 intending to return it, but found myself using it exclusively. Comparing, side by side, a six inch to a five inch screen the 6 inch seems better, but when you do a lot of reading I really prefer the 5 inch form factor, especially for text only books.

Now the 350 combines the best of both worlds! In addition you can create categories right on the reader. So you can for instance create a "Reading" list for books that you are currently reading and move it to a "Finished" list when done.

Again it feels incredibly nice and light in your hand. HTH
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #23
Robert22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
My JBL has a 5" screen and fits very nicely into my pants pocket.

Anyone actually measure the size of a pocket?
I can fit my 300 in some of my t-shirt pockets and the 350 is even smaller and a lot lighter!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I'm thinking that it's the PRS-350 but I won't know for sure until I've been able to use it, could be a week or more from now.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #25
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Red face

The same to me.
I also am looking for a Reader with a size of housing of the current 5" Readers, but with an 6" screen.
Monsters like the Kindle are absolutely No Go.
And I also think the Sony 350 will be the closest device to my wishes, so I decided to order one. (In Germany I still have to wait till Octobre...).

But the really perfect reader to me would look like the one, shown in my avatar!
A Screen* between 5 and 6", a narrow frame around it, and some buttons on the right side. *Because of no touch screen!
The (2way) buttons (like the number buttons of the Sony 300) are only:
[0/1] - Power off & on / Start Menu in books
[2/3] - ...
[4/5] - ...
[6/7] - ...
[8/9] -Choose single pages, books or options
[ > ] - Next Page /"OK" in Settings
[</M] - Pevious Page/ Settings /"Options" in books

No MP3 Player, WiFi or 3G, just an USB Connector to load books and to charge.
And a simple Mini SD-Card as disk. The SD-Card and also the battery are to be reached after unscrewing the backside of the housing. In normal use they stay in. And in case of damage, or the wish of having more capacity, they might be replaced.
Of course a simple, very fast software, able to import absolutely every kind of text file, ebook, html-page... Just as simple as using an USB stick.

Manufacturers,
I present You my ideas almost for free. (I only want to have the possibility to buy this reader in the near future!)

Last edited by Romiman; 09-12-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #26
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiman View Post
A Screen* between 5 and 6", a narrow frame around it, and some buttons on the right side. *Because of no touch screen!

like this
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #27
Robert22
Zealot

Quote:
And I also think the Sony 350 will be the closest device to my wishes, so I decided to order one. (In Germany I still have to wait till Octobre...).

And a simple Mini SD-Card as disk. The SD-Card and also the battery are to be reached after unscrewing the backside of the housing.

Of course a simple, very fast software, able to import absolutely every kind of text file, ebook, html-page... Just as simple as using an USB stick.
I think you will be incredibly impressed with the Sony 350. The pictures and videos do not do it justice. When you get it in your hands the reaction is just WOW... so small and light!

If you load it up with Sony's estimated 1200 books and read 2 books a week, that is enough to last you 11 1/2 years. I've had several Sony's for years and the battery life shows no signs of degradation.

In addition the touch screen is really marvelous. It takes no pressure and perhaps a 1/4 inch (6mm) swipe to turn the page. The glass is a matte finish and shows no finger prints at all (and I'm really fussy about finger prints) with none of the glare and distortions of previous touch screens (I have a 600 so I know). Double tap a word and a dictionary definition pops up (including German). And the text looks really sharp and clear.

You're going to be really happy and impressed!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #28
Robert22
Zealot

One thing I wanted to add is to get the free program Calibre to manage your books, the Sony software stinks! Calibre keeps getting better and better.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Question

OK.
Of course I´m looking forward to my PRS 350.
About Calibre, what about using the Reader without any additional programme?
Just saving and deleting files to it??

Another Question: Is the 350 only to charge about USB?
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #30
Robert22
Zealot

Quote:
OK.
Of course I´m looking forward to my PRS 350.
About Calibre, what about using the Reader without any additional programme?
Just saving and deleting files to it??

Another Question: Is the 350 only to charge about USB?
You can drag and drop files onto the Reader and delete files on the Reader itself, but there are many advantages to using Calibre.

Calibre does a bunch of things including:
1. Edit ebook metadata (Title, Author, Date, Tags, etc.) this is a biggee for me
2. Organizes your books on the computer
3. Converts between various formats
4. Sends ebooks to your reader
5. Creates categories

You can check out the Calibre forum on this website.

As to your second second question, yes the 350 is charged only by USB.

HTH