Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #16
Quartz
Quartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I don't have a problem with highlighting, but the frequent interpretation of swiping up or down along the left edge is frequently misinterpreted by Kobo Libra as something other than an attempt to change brightness level. If the margins are narrow, then it can easily be interpreted as an attempt to highlight the text nearby. It's also frequently interpreted as a tap somewhere in the center to bring up the page guide and top menus. I have about a 60% success rate with actually varying brightness by swiping along the left edge. 40% of the time those other things happen when I don't want them to.
Quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I don't have a problem with highlighting, but the frequent interpretation of swiping up or down along the left edge is frequently misinterpreted by Kobo Libra as something other than an attempt to change brightness level.
I have narrow margins, but I find if I drag my finger making sure I'm touching the bezel and the screen, I never accidentally highlight any more on the Glo HD.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #18
Quartz

Update: miraculously the replacement Libra arrived in no time at all--today. Apparently the warehouse it was dispatched from was quite nearby.

I'm keeping this one for sure. But something interesting to report:

- the first two Libras were really close to each other in backlight brightness and color temperature at the same settings--the only difference was in the evenness of the backlight distribution for amber and white LEDs.

- the replacement Libra has very different backlight from one of the first two I kept! It is noticeably dimmer at each backlight % setting, the max brightness is significantly less brigh. Also, before adding any amber illumination the base white LEDs are more green-tinged than the other one's. So when compared directly the new one looks a bit more warm-green and the "old" looks more blue-purple. I was really surprised and triple checked that the comfort light slider was completely set to zero on both.

On the plus side the replacement reader screen illumination is even enough to overlook imperfections. Yes it's strictly-speaking not actually even, but good enough to not attract attention while reading.

This tells me there were different sets of white LEDs used for the Libra H2O devices.
Either the LED manufacturer changed the spec or Kobo used a different manufacturer or model for LEDs from one batch to the next. I can see how that might affect reviews: I've seen some people complain about a "green tint" while others say theirs doesn't have any such tint. Personally I find the slight yellow-green to be easier on the eyes in lower light conditions, while the brighter blue-more-purple one I have looks best under bright daylight conditions.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #19
Quartz

P.S.: quick photographs to illustrate the difference. At 100% comfort light setting, there's also a difference in final color temperature.

23% brightness, 0% natural light:

100% brightness, 0% natural light:

The replacement reader still has protective film over the screen, so there are some reflections on the photographs. The film is not the reason for the tint and brightness difference, I have confirmed.

Last edited by Quartz; 02-10-2021 at 04:26 PM.