Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2024, 12:26 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
What is really annoying is that Kobo support said doing a Factory Reset would sort it...
They always say that, no matter what the problem is. I've found it's best to ignore much of what they say. In most cases they have no idea what's going on and so just suggest anything, regardless of its actual use.
Quote:
So now I've got an empty Kobo that I can't load books onto
Well, you can connect to your laptop, so why not load your Kobo there?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:27 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Years ago I recall davidfor posting a link to a USB explorer tool that would help clean some of the junk out of installed / partially installed USB drivers on your system.

I'll try searching for that later when I'm on a PC

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2024, 12:31 PM   #18
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Years ago I recall davidfor posting a link to a USB explorer tool that would help clean some of the junk out of installed / partially installed USB drivers on your system.

I'll try searching for that later when I'm on a PC

Excellent, that'd be great
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:06 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, I think the issue is the software from Challenger Backup Solutions that you have installed and which seems to have attached itself as the driver for your Kobos. For my setup, Microsoft is shown as the driver provider.

Perhaps removing the Challenger Backup Solutions driver might help.

You might also want to check A very strange USB problem. (the link is to page 3 of the discussion).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-15 100227.png
Views:	30
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	208293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-15 100558.png
Views:	27
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	208294  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-15-2024 at 01:10 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:22 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I've now been told by Kobo support that my Clara HD is "too old" to connect to my PC
That's pure BS. My Kobo Aura H2O can connect to my Windows 11 system. The H2O came out October 2014. The Clara HD came out June 2018.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2024, 01:23 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's an MS problem, not a Kobo problem.
I don't think it's an MS problem as my H2O can connect to my Windows 11. I think it could be a "something installed is borking the works" problem. @DNSB could very well be correct that the backup software is the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:41 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe the tool I'm thinking of was USBDeview from Nirsoft https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 01:51 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe the tool I'm thinking of was USBDeview from Nirsoft https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
One of my goto tools when troubleshooting USB issues.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:58 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Ran across this item during a search for a driver for an old USB camera:

USB drive showing as Local Disk on Windows 10

Same Challenger Software driver and apparently removing it from Control Panel => Programs and Features worked for the poster.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:05 PM   #25
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it may be worth, I think the issue is the software from Challenger Backup Solutions that you have installed and which seems to have attached itself as the driver for your Kobos. For my setup, Microsoft is shown as the driver provider.

Perhaps removing the Challenger Backup Solutions driver might help.

You might also want to check A very strange USB problem. (the link is to page 3 of the discussion).
I can't even find that anymore...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DM 4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	208295  
Old 05-15-2024, 02:25 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist

You can try the removal of the Challenger Backup driver from Programs and Features. Alternatively, you can open it in Device Manager and select Show hidden devices from the View menu. Look under Disk drives, select a Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device, open it's properties and select Uninstall Device. In the confirmation dialog, if you see Delete the driver software for this device, select that and continue. You may need to uninstall all USB devices using the Challenger Backup driver before you will get the uninstall driver option.

Quote:
All I needed to do was to uninstall (from Control Panel - Programs and Features) the following driver:

Windows Driver Package - Challenger Backup Solutions, LLC (FlashBoot) DiskDrive (08/11/2013 2.3.72.0)
Old 05-15-2024, 02:36 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think it's an MS problem as my H2O can connect to my Windows 11. I think it could be a "something installed is borking the works" problem. @DNSB could very well be correct that the backup software is the problem.
What I meant was it's a problem on the PC, not a Kobo support issue.
MS doesn't give personal support to end users. Likely it's something inadvertently installed as Win 11 is between 25% and 28% of Windows users now.

It was a slightly ironic comment.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:39 PM   #28
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
You can try the removal of the Challenger Backup driver from Programs and Features. Alternatively, you can open it in Device Manager and select Show hidden devices from the View menu. Look under Disk drives, select a Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device, open it's properties and select Uninstall Device. In the confirmation dialog, if you see Delete the driver software for this device, select that and continue. You may need to uninstall all USB devices using the Challenger Backup driver before you will get the uninstall driver option.
The only drivers are
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Win Driv 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	208296  
Old 05-15-2024, 02:41 PM   #29
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
I haven't got a Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DM 4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	208297  
Old 05-15-2024, 02:45 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Depending on how comfortable you feel with this, one other way to remove the driver would be to open USBDeview. Select a Linux File-Stor Gadget device, right click on it and select Open INF file. In the editor window, if the inf file name does not show as usbstor.inf, copy the filename. Still in USBDeview, uninstall any instances of mass storage devices. Open the Windows directory and do a search for that filename. Rename any instances to filename.inf.dnu. Reboot your computer.

To download USBDeview, see USB Deview on Nirsoft's site. The download link for the 64 bit version is https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdeview-x64.zip