Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Okay some of you are already in possession of a STR, so how about some reviews.

Does it read ePubs in landscape?
Jack,

If I'm not mistaken, no. Based on what I've read online landscape is only available for PDFs.

I would also like to know if images can be enlarged on ePub books or not.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Per B&N press release:

Quote:
Customers visiting one of Barnes & Noble's more than 700 stores will be able to try live NOOK demonstration units beginning Thursday, and will find product in-stock in stores beginning this weekend.
http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/pre...-new_nook.html
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Excellent, because they told me store not to expect any demos or stock before the 10th. Yay to sooner! We've all been dying to play with the new touch!
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
According to PC Magazine:

Though there's no Web browser on the Nook, if it's necessary to connect to a Wi-Fi network a browser page will pop up, so you can accept terms of service or log in.

That addresses some concerns about no web browser when connecting to WiFi at some locations.
That makes it even stranger not to just have a browser then. I mean Android has a stock browser it's not like they really have to do anything to include one and it would be one more feature they could list.

I wish it had one as I like being able to download books from my DropBox and places like MR, Webscription and Feedbooks. In fact what was I'm pretty sure a buy for me when I first saw it dropped to a maybe when I learned it had no browser.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I mean surfing the net on e ink isn't exactly a smooth and tranquil experience.
I'll say. Surfing the net on my Kindle is painful at best and I hate it. Therefore, I don't bother with it. It's a wasted feature in my opinion.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'll say. Surfing the net on my Kindle is painful at best and I hate it. Therefore, I don't bother with it. It's a wasted feature in my opinion.
There are plenty of folks who would disagree with you. It is not a feature that I use but most the Kindle users I know use their Kindle to check email and news sites pretty regularly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There are plenty of folks who would disagree with you. It is not a feature that I use but most the Kindle users I know use their Kindle to check email and news sites pretty regularly.
I'm sure there are; and more power to them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #23
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Okay some of you are already in possession of a STR, so how about some reviews.

Does it read ePubs in landscape?
Why would anyone need to do this? Lanscape viewing is a work-around people usually must resort to when attempting to read PDF files that have not been formatted to display correctly on a smaller display.
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
Why would anyone need to do this? Lanscape viewing is a work-around people usually must resort to when attempting to read PDF files that have not been formatted to display correctly on a smaller display.
Landscape is also a way of getting more words on the page for people using larger fonts due to vision problems. My Mother uses landscape on a regular basis.

Landscape is also a way of enlarging maps and graphics in books and articles.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Going to the store in about 15 minutes to play with it, hopefully they will have them up and running.

And hopefully I won't fall in love with it. I think my husband will divorce me if I come home with one more reader device.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Going to the store in about 15 minutes to play with it, hopefully they will have them up and running.

And hopefully I won't fall in love with it. I think my husband will divorce me if I come home with one more reader device.
Just called my store. Display units won't be out until tomorrow. SLACKERS!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
It is also a preference some of us have for holding the reader. And it was pretty much a standard feature for reading apps on PDAs going back over a decade. For some reason B&N seems to be one of the few reader makers that doesn't include this mode on their newer readers.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #28
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Just called my store. Display units won't be out until tomorrow. SLACKERS!!!
Seriously! How rude! *hmph* They should have them up and running today so that they can smooth out the kinks before the weekend crowd comes through.

I have to go to buy end of the year gift cards for teachers, so I don't want to call and get my feelings hurt if they don't plan to display them just yet.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:

LOL. I can't wait to read your reviews. I think my SIL would like the new touches. She won a K3 in a silent auction, my 11 year old nephew has claimed it, and is not thrilled with it. Then again, she doesn't like my brothers Sony 505. She is pretty stuck on paper books. She did comment that she kept trying to use a touchscreen on it.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Seriously! How rude! *hmph* They should have them up and running today so that they can smooth out the kinks before the weekend crowd comes through.

... I don't want to call and get my feelings hurt if they don't plan to display them just yet.
LOL, yeah just stroll in and make your way to the NOOKcolor display unit. Then nonchalantly look around for the Touch.