Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #16
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
I have the Lenovo one and it is a super nice tablet for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I need a replacement for my Asus FHD 10 as it's busted up and malfunctioning. So far the Leonvo Tab 2 A 10 is my favorite. Android 5 Lollipop, full hd screen and decent sound at a really reasonable price. No stylus though.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #17
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the Lenovo too and I use it for watching on-board videos. It's great for that and the price is great. But the Wifi is so flaky it's fairly useless for general tablet use. I considered returning it but I really bought it with those videos in mind and it's superb for that use so decided to keep it.

I also have the Galaxy Tab S, bought for the same reason, but as was stated earlier in this thread, those buttons are terribly inconvenient and I rarely use it. I've tried and tried to get used to it. It's an expensive tablet and it took me longer than the return period to decide I wasn't going to get used to it. It's a shame because without those buttons it would be the perfect tablet. Everything else about it is excellent.

I enjoy drawing although I'm very much an amateur and I have an 8" Asus Windows tablet with a digital stylus. It's fairly clumsy as tablet styluses go, I think. It seems to have all the problems the video reviews discuss among tablets with a stylus. But it's still kind of great to draw with. I'd like to get a 10" tablet for this, or even larger, but I have to save up for these devices and it takes a while and I'm saving for a new laptop first. But down the road....

Actually that 10" Asus with the optional stylus was one I hadn't known about and it's price is something I could just about manage. I do wish it had a higher resolution screen but that's not a showstopper, I guess. I'll have to read up on it a bit.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #18
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@barryem

Have you tried the Lollipop upgrade? I do not have the Wifi issues to be honest. Maybe I do but I do not experience serious drops or slow downs with it.

Which Windows tablet do you have there?
Old 02-01-2016, 12:49 AM   #19
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
The Z300 and Z580 CA Stylus is called Z Stylus, it's not Wacom as the Asus Vivotab Note one, it's Hanvon. I was not enthusiastic abouth that, since I never liked the Hanvon devices I tried in the past, but this one works much, much better than the Vivotab Note stylus (I had one which I passed on to my son). The Z Stylus needs one AAAA battery.

I used the Vivotab note for a while, but Windows just does not have as good note taking apps as Android. And I have no need for a windows device when away from home. I took my Samsung Note 8 and the Asus Vivotab Note for a 2 weeks trip last fall and ended up almost never booting up the Vivotab.

Last edited by aceflor; 02-01-2016 at 12:51 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #20
loviedovie
Addict

aceflor, thanks for the heads up. Those impressions are very helpoful to me.
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I need a replacement for my Asus FHD 10 as it's busted up and malfunctioning. So far the Leonvo Tab 2 A 10 is my favorite. Android 5 Lollipop, full hd screen and decent sound at a really reasonable price. No stylus though.
I had that sorry excuse for a tablet (Asus FHD 10) and got rid of it recently. Was also malfunctioning. I bought Samsung Tab S2 8' some 2 weeks ago which is just fine for my needs but I wouldn't sing songs of praise about it either.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #22
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I'm still researching and thought my little table might be helpful for some of you. Notice all but the Xperia weigh almost as much as the Note. Prices are from Amazon as of a couple of days ago. I sure do like the Xperia, but the price is way too high for me, I'll keep an eye on it and maybe get one if the prices become reasonable.

Galaxy Note 10.1 21.12 oz 1280x800

asus zenpad 10 18 ozs 1280 x 720 micro SD to 64g $177.00

Sony Xperia Z4 10.1 13.7 ozs 2560 x 1600 micro sd to 128g $593.29

Lenovo Tab 2 10.1 18 ozs 1960x1080 sd up to 64g $179.00

Nexus 10 20.8 ozs 2560 x 1600 no sd $448.88
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #23
loviedovie
Addict

@peaceridge

Thanks fore the research. Do all those devices support pressure based stylus?
Old 02-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #24
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
@peaceridge

Thanks fore the research. Do all those devices support pressure based stylus?
No. The Samsung and Asus do. The Sony Z4 may (or may not, as it is a concealed option on some Sony Z tablets and phones) have the Anypen capablities, which is nifty but does really only allow short notes and has no palm rejection. The others don't.

That said, the Z4 display is a beauty.

Last edited by aceflor; 02-02-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:54 AM   #25
BretSingleton
Enthusiast
BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BretSingleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
You might check out the Sony Xperia Z4 10.1 incher. Lighter than ipad air 2, "waterproof" (fresh water at 1.5 meter depth), no buttons, 299 PPI (2560x1600), 16:10 display. A bit of a heavy hitter on the wallet. At Amazon, US ver has warranty & keyboard at around $80 higher than international ver from 3rd party with lte (unlocked?).

Don't know how the LG G pad 2 10.1 with 264 PPI looks & haven't seen any pricing or availability or the Lenovo Tab 2 10.1. Both models are at 1960x1080 & much lower cost than Xperia Z4.
I have LG G pad 2 10.1 and its good tab perfect for my needs. By the way nice comment dude.
BretSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I used the Vivotab note for a while, but Windows just does not have as good note taking apps as Android. And I have no need for a windows device when away from home. I took my Samsung Note 8 and the Asus Vivotab Note for a 2 weeks trip last fall and ended up almost never booting up the Vivotab.
I got the Galaxy Note 8 and the VivoTab Note 8. Regarding note taking apps, I only use OneNote. Both on Windows and on Android. I tried the Samsung one, but that one was severely lacking in one, for me, very important item: shareability. If I make a note on something, I want to read it on my tablet, pc and phone. And I want to be able to share it with others.

I never take the Galaxy Note anywhere, while my VivoTab Note is always next to me

But the Samsung is aging. And sadly, there simply is not an adequate replacement for it (it is my only Android device, and I'd like to keep at least one). The Asus doesn't seem to be 16:10 but rather 4:3. And I don't think it has an integrated stylus compartment.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #27
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I got the Galaxy Note 8 and the VivoTab Note 8. Regarding note taking apps, I only use OneNote. Both on Windows and on Android. I tried the Samsung one, but that one was severely lacking in one, for me, very important item: shareability. If I make a note on something, I want to read it on my tablet, pc and phone. And I want to be able to share it with others.

I never take the Galaxy Note anywhere, while my VivoTab Note is always next to me

But the Samsung is aging. And sadly, there simply is not an adequate replacement for it (it is my only Android device, and I'd like to keep at least one). The Asus doesn't seem to be 16:10 but rather 4:3. And I don't think it has an integrated stylus compartment.

Regarding Shareability, there are nowadays a few very good alternative to OneNote on Android, whereas with Windows, it's either OneNote or nothing, because the other Windows apps are really subpar.
No, there is no integrated compartment as the stylus is very comparable in size to the surface pro 3 pen, to give you an idea. So it is too big to slide into the tablet, which is extrememly thin. The haptik is far superior to the S-pen or the Vivotab stylus, but that's a given considering how tiny those are. I suppose it's either a mini stylus that slides into the tablet or a normal one that has to be carried on top. I use a Leuchtturm pen loop that sticks to the inside of my cover, in a very girly color .

Last edited by aceflor; 02-02-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #28
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I see that www.BHPhotoVideo.com has the lg g pad 2 10.1 at $289; has some nice reviews. the older version is also available but not at the same resolution or ram & storage.

If you have a smartphone, you can also do the Q pair with the lg g pad ii 10.1 so that the phone's connectivity can be used on the lg.....interesting. The one shown on Amazon is from Beach with all kinds of errors & reviews regarding the pad 2 as it was for the old pad & priced higher at $299.

Will have to wait after doing my taxes for the tax refund spending....still thinking of the xperia z4 if the refund is high enough, maybe.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #29
loviedovie
Addict

@aceflor,

If I remember right, someone was complaining about Zenpad having considerable distance shift between the tip of the stylus and the pointer on the screen. Do you feel that is still an issue based on your experience?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #30
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
@aceflor,

If I remember right, someone was complaining about Zenpad having considerable distance shift between the tip of the stylus and the pointer on the screen. Do you feel that is still an issue based on your experience?
Not at all. I am guessing that this problem was resolved by the last update (stand January 2016) which was waiting to be downloaded when I booted the tablet for the first time.