Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Here in the UK, the iLiad costs the equivalent of around A$1000. Can't see it being too much cheaper than that for you, unfortunately . I think they would have been much better off going for the CyBook, but perhaps Bookeen couldn't supply them with enough?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #32
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Here in the UK, the iLiad costs the equivalent of around A$1000. Can't see it being too much cheaper than that for you, unfortunately . I think they would have been much better off going for the CyBook, but perhaps Bookeen couldn't supply them with enough?
Yes, Harry, if this is in response to my $650, you'll have to indulge my penchant for silliness. I honestly do not expect it to be near that (though I actually could do with a new set of steak knives). I'm actually expecting around the $800 dollar mark as previously mentioned by Tarek.

I too wish they'd gone with the Cybook. I think it would have been a far better proposition, a more approachable device for a buying public, not to mention a more financially viable product for a buying public. I think it would have "just worked" (a favourite mantra of mine when looking at new products) for most potential users. I'll still probably buy the Iliad. I do count local support - or, at least, the ability to make any problem a problem for Dymocks - on such new-ish technology products as fairly important to me. Also, to be honest, the Iliad does have its own charms (as I'm sure you are aware ).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 AM   #33
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm with you HarryT - I cannot see it being less expensive getting it from a retailer - generally here that means you pay more than when you buy things direct online.

Even if the iLiad was not so expensive, I still think its the wrong device to be using to introduce traditional paper reading consumers to the world of ebooks.
Dymocks need to be selling a zippy, trendy VW and instead they want us to buy a Hummer (probably a very bad analogy).

In some ways, I think they could have even started selling eb1150s for $100 each before Christmas and they would have made a killing. Then in 6 months bring out a more expensive e-ink device like the Gen3 or the one that ETI have as a demo or whatever it is.

Once the cheap device and the medium priced superior device were well established then they could get into the high end stuff.

Unless they start selling a cheaper device and start releasing more current titles, I think they have a flop on their hands.

Its so disappointing...
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #34
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
Dymocks need to be selling a zippy, trendy VW and instead they want us to buy a Hummer (probably a very bad analogy).
It is down here. Hummers are rarely seen, so perhaps "Range Rover" would work better maybe.

Quote:
In some ways, I think they could have even started selling eb1150s for $100 each before Christmas and they would have made a killing.
They could probably have sold it for double that if they kept on the Kindle bandwagon. Aussies don't like missing out, so I think they would have snapped up the "bargain".

Quote:
Then in 6 months bring out a more expensive e-ink device like the Gen3 or the one that ETI have as a demo or whatever it is.

Once the cheap device and the medium priced superior device were well established then they could get into the high end stuff.
Why aren't you running Dymocks?

Quote:
Unless they start selling a cheaper device and start releasing more current titles, I think they have a flop on their hands.
I've never retained any confidence in anything Dymocks does. My longtime dealings with them leave me with the opinion that they're disorganised, apathetic nincompoops that run their bookstore like a large supermarket ("There's product on the shelves - what are you complaining about?").

Quote:
Its so disappointing...
Cheer up. There's always B&H, et cetera. (in the same way that it's almost always far cheaper and far quicker for me to order a dead-tree book from Amazon than to order it from Dymocks, to the point that Dymocks could order it from Amazon themselves and still make a massive profit and get it to me quicker. I do like actual store-browsing though, but Borders is better ).

Last edited by montsnmags; 12-06-2007 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Formatting error
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 AM   #35
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Oh how very dissapointing. I only hit the E-Book scene last week and started looking into what reader to get, when I came across the announcement that Dymocks was going to bring out their own.

No chance in hell I am going to pay that much for a device that reads books. I don't know what the heck they are thinking, but it's going to bomb here bigtime. I think people down here would rather spend that amount of money on a gaming console or a TV then a tiny device to read books.

Now I am back to Square One. It's definatly either the Cybook or Sony for me now, and the Sony's Asthetics are really drawing me in, only that i'll have to convert all my books into their format.

URGH! Die in a fire Dymocks.
SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 AM   #36
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
It is down here. Hummers are rarely seen

Neither are ebook reader devices

Quote:
but Borders is better ).
Precisely

Now if only they would import some sony readers for us...

Last edited by mrsp; 12-10-2007 at 01:51 AM. Reason: to use correct terminology
Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #37
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Neither are ereading devices
So the analogy does work.

Quote:
Now if only they would import some sony readers for us...
Maybe whoever finally ends up buying the local arm of Borders will have some kind of ebook and device strategy. Do Tata make ebook devices?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #38
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
So the analogy does work.

Maybe whoever finally ends up buying the local arm of Borders will have some kind of ebook and device strategy. Do Tata make ebook devices?

Cheers,
Marc
ONe can only hope Borders will join the process
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #39
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Dell Axim x51v, Bookeen CyBook Gen 3, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Expect an announcement on Saturday 8 December in regard to the Iliad being available as of Monday next week. Price still not revealed.
So, Saturday has come and gone... any more information from your secret source?
i, Podius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:07 AM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by i, Podius View Post
So, Saturday has come and gone... any more information from your secret source?
Well it's after midnight for me, and about 3pm for Australia. I don't think they will announce today.

I did so want to be wrong.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Neither are ereading devices
And the Gen3, 500/505, iLiad, and Eb1150 are also not eReader devices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:09 AM   #42
thaoula
thaoula doesn't litterthaoula doesn't litterthaoula doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Dual
Hi Guys,

I called Dymock's again today and they still dont have exact pricing or ETA. The guy in charge of the ebook reader device at the George St store still believes it will be released soon and before Christmas.

Kind Regards,
Tarek
thaoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:17 AM   #43
mrsp
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And the Gen3, 500/505, iLiad, and Eb1150 are also not eReader devices.
but I didn't say they were - didn't use capitals and just meant devices-for-reading-ebooks. I only think ereader if it says ereader or Ereader or eREader as opposed to ereading if that makes sense...

I can edit the post but what should i say:

devices for reading ebooks?
ebook reading devices?
ebook readers?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #44
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
but I didn't say they were - didn't use capitals and just meant devices-for-reading-ebooks. I only think ereader if it says ereader or Ereader or eREader as opposed to ereading if that makes sense...

Don't sweat the small stuff I say. You edit your post and no-one that follows the whole thread will know what this part is all about.

Quote:
ebook reading devices?
ebook readers?

I think the term is "E-book Reader device" (the "device" bit to specify that it is hardware rather than software).

Personally, from now on I'm going to call such a device a "Tardis book". I don't have the copyright for "Tardis", but I'm trying to fight the system from the ground up. Fight the power!

Oh yeah, did I mention I don't like Dymocks? I've said it before and I'll say it again - they over-promise and under-deliver. They've got until the end of the week and then I think I'll be ordering a Cybook from OS.

Cheers,
Marc (throwing his frisbee while getting his thermos out of his esky for a nice cold drink of coke )
Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #45
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:

ebook reading devices?
ebook readers?

Perhaps Electronic Literature Storage and Display Device, mmmmm ELSDD doesn't make much of an acronym tho.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote