Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2023, 11:45 AM   #31
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Took survey via email I received from them. For the "magical make things better" I mentioned it would be great if they added something to sync between ebook and their audiobooks much like Kindle's WhisperSync. I cannot remember the last time I read a book solely as an ebook or audiobook. For me, this would be a killer feature to cause me to fully switch to kobo store for buying content.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 08:36 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing I find disturbing is that they mentioned Bionic Reading. I really hope Kobo never ever implements is. It's HORRIBLE! It would take up space in the firmware that could be used for something else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2023, 08:38 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I don't like it so I don't want to be available to anyone who does is the most JSWolf Comment ever.
I think Bionic Reading is made up with no scientific proof that it actually works.
Old 12-22-2023, 08:41 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Well, that's up to Kobo I guess. Just like they added the OpenDyslectic font. Luckily Kobo lets me still choose whether to use it or not. And as long as they do that, I do not mind a bit. And perhaps, somebody might actually like it and find it helpful, who knows.
There have been studies that show that most people with dyslexia read better with a sans-serif font then they do with OpenDyslexic.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:23 PM   #35
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I asked for the battery meter to get fixed so it doesn't report random values anymore. I'm not holding my breath.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2023, 06:15 AM   #36
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I completed the survey. They didn’t ask me what my side loaded books were. They are fan fiction so Kobo can never compete with that!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 06:57 AM   #37
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think Bionic Reading is made up with no scientific proof that it actually works.
Pretty much what I think, I ticked other and wrote it's snake oil.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:39 AM   #38
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
There have been studies that show that most people with dyslexia read better with a sans-serif font then they do with OpenDyslexic.
Interesting. Can you provide references for that, please?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Certainly Open Dyslexic was an art project with no actual study of dyslexia. Very many (nearly all?) supposed aids for Dyslexia have no scientific basis. Someone here recently posted links to actual studies debunking Open Dyslexic font.

The sans vs sans-serif readability is contentious and results seem related to size and type of content readers are used to. Those adults reading mostly novels "prefer" serif (because almost universal) and those mostly reading web sites "prefer" sans, because that's what web pages mostly use, for historical reasons.

I'd guess no-one wants to read traditional German/Gothic "black letter". It's hard to understand why it was even adopted as it's later than almost all clearer font faces.

My tests with Dyslexic readers who had never used ebooks suggested what they liked was being able to adjust font size, line spacing and margins on eink. As do most older folk! None were impressed by Open Dyslectic font.

All children and teens keen on reading novels tested (not Dyslexic) found a 4.7″ eink non-touch ereader with Georgia better than an ebook on a 6″ phone or an iPad. Oddly most liked smaller text!

Last edited by Quoth; 12-23-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Re: Bionic Reading
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
Pretty much what I think, I ticked other and wrote it's snake oil.
Might be good for an autocue?

It's a ghastly fashion. It's slow to read and ugly, hence the autocue idea as you have to study each word and not make assumptions about what you think is there.

Like bad printed T-shirts or slashed jeans.

Edit (Bionical or Open Dyslexic):
Also when people in the West become proficient at reading, they read very like Chinese people read (which usually isn't even phonetic). You do not identify and spell out each letter, but recognise the word. Hence proof reading an alphabetic language is an acquired skill that takes practice.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-23-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 12:59 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. Can you provide references for that, please?
Here's a couple of links. There are many more if you want to exercise your Google fu. This discussion has been going on for years and basically all the studies show the same thing: OpenDyslexic and Dyslexie offer no benefit for readers with or without dyslexia. Atkinson Hyperlegible
is another font that may help with reading though without some of the claims by OpenDys/Dyslexie.

The effect of a specialized dyslexia font, OpenDyslexic, on reading rate and accuracy

Dyslexie font does not benefit reading in children with or without dyslexia

Good Fonts for Dyslexia

Dyslexia Style Guide 2023 – British Dyslexia Association

The comment in one study was:

Quote:
A more recent study with dyslexic elementary students confirmed that use of the OpenDyslexic font had no impact on reading ability. There was no improvement in reading rate or accuracy for students using the font, and no students reported preferring the font for reading material.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-23-2023 at 01:04 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 10:43 PM   #42
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyDred View Post
My main 'magic wand' request was [...] and an official SD card slot
I have a kobo (H2O) with an sd card slot.

Having the extra space and being able to upgrade it was wonderful!
However, the card mechanism itself was awful! The card would constantly get bumped and accidentally ejected with the reader on. It would then delete the books from the database and lose my place and bookmarks and then reimport them after the card was fully ejected and reseated. I think I ended up hot glueing the card in to prevent this.

Kobo's implementation of the sd card was awful, and I'd rather not have one if that's how they are going to do it.

I also have an android tablet with a secondary SD card slot. The slot is all but inaccessible except by paperclip (or the tool that came with it). There's no way for the card to be accidentally ejected.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:06 AM   #43
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I doubt reMarkable are any threat to anyone. Dire spec, loads of hype. USB only via networking, only native PDF. About 6 G storage. No on device handwriting conversion. No metadata browsing, only a file system. It's obviously a much better screen than the DX/DXG, but to actually browse books or copy to/from it, it is worse. I gave it away. The reMarkable is a one trick pony and a niche in a niche. I expect them to go bust.

For the past two months, reMarkable has been running tightly focused, stylish ads on X constantly. It may not appeal to ebook gnostics, but some of the questions in the survey targeted reMarkable features.

When I attended writers conferences over the past few years, reMarkable had lots of buzz. If the one trick that pony offers targets a niche, that niche will be thrilled. Nobody buzzes about the Kobo Elipsa in those author circles. Kobo has its work cut out for it.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:12 AM   #44
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That, and the way people are using Kobo and electronic reading in general. Plus I learned something about already available tooling by others as Bionic Reading. Never would have known that.

Agreed. I had never heard of Bionic Reading before. Unlike other speed reading/assisted reading systems, Bionic Reading could be implemented on a Kobo with a simple tweak to the CSS without a hit on the CPU.
Old 12-24-2023, 03:15 AM   #45
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Kobo research team is asking for feedback on Reddit

Re: Cloud services

I’m the type of Kobo user who has WiFi on all the time, and I enjoy the convenience of cloud services. I consider it an offsite backup beyond the local backups I already have. I mostly backup my iOS devices locally, but at least once a month I make sure to update the device image on iCloud. I consider the risk worth the convenience.

If Kobo charged a modest price for side-loading support across devices that included collection syncing, I’d consider that a worthy service to subscribe to, especially if they allowed a backup of all my ebooks in the cloud as well. Chances are, however, that this type of service will be reserved for the latest top of the line Kobo the way OverDrive, then Dropbox were offered.

Last edited by Cootey; 12-24-2023 at 03:28 AM.