Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-15-2023, 11:57 AM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Not seen it yet. I was only referencing movies I've seen or have,
It has a spaceship that looks like a torso, John-Boy as the Luke Skywalker stand-in, George Peppard as a Southern space-trucker and a screaming space Valkyrie. Have you no respect for the classics?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 12:14 PM   #47
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I hope you didn't purposely leave out the best Seven Samurai remake, Battle Beyond the Stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Not seen it yet. I was only referencing movies I've seen or have,
A bunch of us from work went to see it when it first came out. We all laughed our butts off.

It's amazing how many powerhouses got their start with Roger Corman,
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2023, 03:00 PM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It has a spaceship that looks like a torso

A torso. Sure. That's definitely the term that comes to mind.

I was 12 years old when that movie came out, and I'm sure I used to read Playboy for the articles, and the torsos.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:36 PM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Not a torso used to display Y-fronts, but one for higher up underwear?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:50 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
A torso. Sure. That's definitely the term that comes to mind.

I was 12 years old when that movie came out, and I'm sure I used to read Playboy for the articles, and the torsos.
I wasn't being a prude. Yes, the ship has breasts. But if you look at it, it's a torso (built by James Cameron).
Advert
Old 06-16-2023, 05:20 PM   #51
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I wasn't being a prude. Yes, the ship has breasts. But if you look at it, it's a torso (built by James Cameron).
I didn't say you were wrong. But "torso" is NOT the word that leaps to anyone's mind upon seeing that ship. Not even James Cameron's I'd bet.
And probably not even "breasts" except among the most genteel.

p.s., I didn't know he built it. That's interesting.

p.p.s. This movie actually popped up as a free viewing suggestion on my Roku screen just a few days before it was mentioned here. I remember not thinking much of it even when I was 12, but I may have try it again...just to compare to Kurosawa....

p.p.p.s. Since it popped up on Roku days before being mentioned here, the only logical conclusion is that my Alexa devices are not only spying on me, but they have precognition.

Last edited by ApK; 06-16-2023 at 06:55 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:15 AM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I didn't say you were wrong. But "torso" is NOT the word that leaps to anyone's mind upon seeing that ship. Not even James Cameron's I'd bet.
And probably not even "breasts" except among the most genteel.
I'm just going to say you are way more into that spaceship design than I am.

Quote:
p.s., I didn't know he built it. That's interesting.
From the Wikipedia page:
Quote:
Corman initially hired James Cameron as a model maker for his studio after being impressed with his short film Xenogenesis. When the original art director for the film was fired, Cameron became responsible for the majority of the film's special effects, or, as Cameron later put it, "production design and art direction". This was Cameron's first "big break" in the entertainment industry, and it helped to propel his career. He was recommended by long-time working partner and future wife Gale Anne Hurd, who was at the time working for Corman.
Aside from Cameron, John Sayles wrote the script, James Horner wrote the score and Jimmy Murakami directed it.

Movie fans owe Roger Corman a lot, even if they've never seen any of his movies.

Quote:
p.p.s. This movie actually popped up as a free viewing suggestion on my Roku screen just a few days before it was mentioned here. I remember not thinking much of it even when I was 12, but I may have try it again...just to compare to Kurosawa....
The movie is interesting. Please don't mistake that for me saying it is good...

The planet in the movie is Akir and the inhabitants are Akiras.

Quote:
p.p.p.s. Since it popped up on Roku days before being mentioned here, the only logical conclusion is that my Alexa devices are not only spying on me, but they have precognition.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I wish that were true. That way she could tell me I hated that movie/show before I waste time on it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote