Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #46
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I think the standard way to do these things is to provide an install target and then wait for people to create distro packages.
Distro packaging tools don't need an uninstall target.

As for checkinstall, I thought you use that to run make install why do you need a target for it?

An uninstall target is most useful for LFS people.
Anyone playing with compilation can probably figure out how to use their distro's packaging format.

That being said, it isn't a bad thing to have one, but I get the feeling it isn't a priority either.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:26 AM   #47
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Are you sure you are using Sigil-0.8.901 instead of Sigil-0.900?
Which are you using?
Thank you for the hint, KevinH! No, I'm not sure. I have to check it this evening.
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #48
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Yes, you are right. I had thought I had updated to 0.8.901, but this hasn't been the case indeed. Now everything works fine. I'm glad!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #49
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kobo Touch, Aldiko for Android
Hi Kevin,

Working on my new book has brought an old issue to attention: it used to be that if I added NBSPs in my Word doc, when exported to HTML and imported into Sigil, the NBSPs were maintained. Then somewhere along development Sigil began stripping out the NBSPs. This is not a good thing. I, and I assume other writers, put them in there for a reason: I don't want, for example, a line ending with "Mr." then "Smith" falling to the next line. Similarly, if I choose to add spaces around the em dash to make the text more readable onscreen, I will add an NBSP between the word and the open of the em dash to keep it from falling to the next line, which is adamantly avoided in print and should be in digital books. So Sigil stripping them out means I have to search for every instance and put it back in again. Not good. Please reverse. I beg you.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #50
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
Simply add the nbsp entity to your Preserve Entity Preference Settings. Gumbo replaces all html named entities with the actual unicode (that is a requirement for html5, epub3). Gumbo never removes them .. the unicode character 160 is there. If you want to preserve them (ie. convert them back) when editing code, the PreserveEntities preferences are the way to go.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 10-08-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #51
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.
eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.eggheadbooks1 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Quote:
Hi,
Simply add the nbsp entity to your Preserve Entity Preference Settings. Gumbo replaces all html named entities with the actual unicode (that is a requirement for html5, epub3). Gumbo never removes them .. the unicode character 160 is there. If you want to preserve them (ie. convert them back) when editing code, the PreserveEntities preferences are the way to go.

KevinH
Thanks for the tip; I wasn't aware of the option.

Follow up query, then: what is the Unicode for nbsp? When I look at my doc, there is nothing in place of the original nbsp; it's just a regular empty space.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #52
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Bad news

Quote:
Hi,

KevinH
Bad news: I just checked the Preserve Entities, and nbsp is already in there by default. But it is still being stripped out.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #53
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,
Exactly how are you importing the file? In my ePub the nbsp stays just fine. Perhaps the is a path I missed with the preserve routine.

KevinH
Old 10-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggheadbooks1 View Post
Bad news: I just checked the Preserve Entities, and nbsp is already in there by default. But it is still being stripped out.
Not sure what to say. I open epubs/html that have no-break-space chars/entities in them all the time and they don't get stripped out (when nbsp is in Preserve Entities)

HarryT's Bleak House (which was mentioned earlier in the thread) is littered with unicode no-break space chars that all become nbsp entities when opened in Sigil. If I export one of the html files from that epub and open it/import it with Sigil, the entities are there. I've tried with every clean-source setting possible, and I can't get Sigil to strip no-break spaces.

Can you post a tiny sample of your Word-exported html that contains no-break spaces for testing purposes?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #55
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
Hi,
Exactly how are you importing the file? In my ePub the nbsp stays just fine. Perhaps the is a path I missed with the preserve routine.

KevinH
Hi Kevin,

Saving to Web Page, Filtered, then open Sigil and use the File > Open to import.

I was just making a test file for you (and the next poster) when I tested it myself and the NBSPs are now intact. But in the interim I had opened the Preferences > Preserve Entities, saw that the NBSP was already included, and hit OK. That has triggered the program to now preserve them, but it didn't preserve them at first use after installation. So maybe something there? I'm on Windows 7 Pro and using the 64-bit version of Sigil (Sigil-0.8.901-Windows-x64-Setup.exe).

I recall having this conversation with John many months ago when I was working on a friend's book and after updating to an earlier version (either 7.4 or 8.4) I had to manually restore all the NBSPs in the book (and I was annoyed because there were hundreds of them). Don't know if the Preserve Entities arose from that.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by eggheadbooks1; 10-08-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #56
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi eggheadbooks1,

I did a quick test, loading and saving many files in French with a lot of   under Google Gumbo-Parser. — and   -the only 2 entities I use- are correctly saved by Sigil 0.8.901.

I use Windows 7 HP 64 b.

Maybe a problem with Sigil .ini file or something like that?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #57
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Can you post a tiny sample of your Word-exported html that contains no-break spaces for testing purposes?
Hi DiapDealer,

I have attached a test file but as you can see from my post the problem has been rectified by clicking OK in the Preserve Entities option. The only way for me to replicate the problem is to uninstall/reinstall Sigil and see what happens if I don't check the Preferences again. Unfortunately, I have to get my book done and I'm already well behind schedule. Once I am done and have time I will happily do so if you haven't figured out the problem. But you likely will have by then. I will check back in future.

(Update: apparently I cannot upload an HTML file. Attached is the Word excerpt with examples of NBSP use.)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Word excerpt.doc (42.5 KB, 120 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #58
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi,

I can't recreate it either. Hmm ... the default setting is set to always include   Could your Sigil ini file be corrupted? I will stare at the code to see if I can see if there is a way they can be left unset on first start-up without a broken ini file.

Thanks for your bug report!

KevinH

ps. I looked at the SettingsStore.cpp code and even if the setting does not even include the store key for preserve entities (ie. an empty ini file?), it will still return the & nbsp ; and should still always work to save non breaking spaces. So it must be either a corrupted Sigil ini file or something I am missing someplace.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-08-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #59
eggheadbooks1
Read, don't parrot.

I'm afraid I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know if the ini file is corrupted.

Quote:
Thanks for your bug report!
Always happy to ruin someone's day. :-)

Other than that, what I can tell you is that when I initially installed the update without uninstalling the earlier version, this new beta version was visibly slow; something was definitely amiss. Then when I noticed the NBSPs were missing, I thought it might be prudent to return to the earlier version and await this one out of beta.

But when I uninstalled 8.9 and tried to reinstall 8.4, the system crashed when it tried to install or access Microsoft something or another (one of the programming languages, I think). I had to kill the install through Task Manager, manually remove what I could find of Sigil folders in my App Data and Programs Files folders, then install the new version again rather than risk another crash.

Now the slowness has been resolved. Erasing the earlier version then installing the update worked much better, other than the (initially) missing NBSPs.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #60
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hmm that is definitely strange ... I wonder if the older Sigil was still running in the background someplace?

Either way I am glad you are back to working. The 901 pre-release has not had any showstopper bugs in it (unlike the 900 pre-release) so I truly expect very few changes from this version when Sigil 0.9.0 comes out. It should be very stable (at least as stable as any older release of Sigil) but it never hurts to always save-as to a new name no matter which version of Sigil you use.

Take care,

KevinH
Closed Thread