Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #46
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Maybe your chrome browser is aflicted by malware. Did you download it directly from Google? And have you installed any extensions on it? If you installed the wrong extension (where you then have clicked to install it) it may conteined malware. There are several chrome extensions doing this.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #47
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Sounds like you are being hijacked which often happens after you initially download from a bad website. They will not let you go to the legitimate site.

Pretty well 100% sure you did not download from the official calibre website on your first attempt.

There area fair number of malicious downloads of calibre available for the unwary.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 01:29 PM   #48
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if a site is serving up syndicated ads, i.e. if the site owner is letting a 3rd party choose & display the ads ...
Very nicely summed up.
I believe that this is what might have happened.
I know that in the past people got malware by visiting a legitimate site belonging to very reputable companies. It was caused by malware served in an add on a hijacked add server.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's a very plausible scenario. The only snag with it is that it never seems to happen for anyone else, while the OP claims it happens every single time they visit the site and download calibre. I would expect a slightly more random distribution if there were a few poison apples in the ad rotation.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #50
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have no issues with IE set at my harder security levels. chrome is gone for good. My system has been swept using 3 different av, and adware removal tools. I did find several adware issues. I will set up a virtual environment and install chrome and do some testing. I have always in the past used chrome with no issues. I will figure this out so I can use it again.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #51
McHunter
Connoisseur
McHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enough

Device: PB TL2 /PB TL3 (M) STOLEN/ PB SURFpad 3 (7.85") / thl T11
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have no issues with IE set at my harder security levels. chrome is gone for good. My system has been swept using 3 different av, and adware removal tools. I did find several adware issues. I will set up a virtual environment and install chrome and do some testing. I have always in the past used chrome with no issues. I will figure this out so I can use it again.
Happy Hunting...
McHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #52
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Do you log in to Chrome when you re-install it? Chrome by default remembers and re-installs any extensions you have. If you had installed (or had been duped into installing) a rogue extension that might explain why it kept re-appearing.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #53
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Try google ultron.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #54
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
The Op needs to check his router for Teredo tunnels, Win 8 is bad about configuring Teredo tunnels using UPnP and not closing them out. You then have open ports on your router that are not firewalled. If he has an ipv6 capable router I would suggest he sign up with a 4to6 tunnel service and turn off UPnP in his router, I would close UPnP just on general principals.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote