Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2022, 07:18 AM   #106
voidnull
voidnull began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Booting in JB

[null@artix mnt]$ cd .demo/
[null@artix .demo]$ ls
demo.json goodreads PW3-5.14.1.zip
[null@artix .demo]$ pwd
/mnt/.demo
[null@artix .demo]$ ls
[null@artix .demo]$

I mount the kindle to /mnt

First made new folder in /mnt called "us". So it was /mnt/us/

Inside I tried to make .demo folder. It did not work.

After I read that us is root so removed the "us" folder and added the .demo folder in the root /mnt/.demo

After that my kindle froze and did hard boot, went to demo, sideload without connect to usb and clicked done.

After that again nothing happened when I prompted to jailbreak.

My locale is UK.
voidnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:18 AM   #107
lipfi
lipfi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
Updated with locale related instructions - TL;DR make sure to use "en_GB" / "English (United Kingdom)".
how can I change this now? Can i change the value in manifest.json into "de_ge" for germany??

I´m sooo confused rn
lipfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2022, 07:18 AM   #108
mmmilo
mmmilo began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
Select "Help & User Guides" then "Get started"

where? in setting? in start menu?
mmmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:19 AM   #109
notbrina
notbrina began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
First of all, I'm so sorry for being this stupid... but I'm stuck in the first step

After factory resetting the device, I skipped setting up wifi and it took me directly to the kindle home page. Then I typed ;enter_demo and restarted the device (idk if restarting is the same as rebooting) and well, it restarted, but nothing else happened.
notbrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #110
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeknight View Post
how to factory reset device from demo mode?
The fastest way is to enter ;uzb in the search bar to enable USB storage mode then create an empty file named "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" at the root of the Kindle storage. Once this has been created, reboot the device.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #111
bladeknight
bladeknight began at the beginning.

Device: KO,KV,K3,DXI
Quote:
The fastest way is to enter ;uzb in the search bar to enable USB storage mode then create an empty file named "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" at the root of the Kindle storage. Once this has been created, reboot the device.
thank you . i think you can add this to your structions
bladeknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:28 AM   #112
HyperionMeow
HyperionMeow began at the beginning.

Device: koa2
If you enter the demo mode in the wrong language

you can.

First type ;exit_demo in the search box

and then type ;demo

This will allow you to reselect the correct language
HyperionMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:29 AM   #113
mmmilo
mmmilo began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
Quote:
not working for me

PPW2 - de-de or de-ger - not Restoring
mmmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #114
lipfi
lipfi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
doesnt work
PW3 de_ge
lipfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #115
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
@katadelos Maybe also updated the readme inside zip?

Couple of questions:

1) what exactly makes zip "payloads" firmware specific? For PW5 as far as I could see the only different file is "appreg.db-journal"?

2) re: reverting to older UI (the one with static top bar menu):

2a) does connecting to WiFi and sync-ing books revert/undo those changes to /var/local/CHROME_CONFIG

2b) can you confirm that when you do those changes on both fw 5.14.1.1 and 5.14.2 you can hide "Home view" and get the exact same UI as on fw 5.13.6

2c) Does front-light slider UI also reverts to old look

3) is there real brick potential if I would stubbornly try using 5.14.1.1 payload on 5.14.0.1 firmware? Or it just wouldn't work?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:46 AM   #116
voidnull
voidnull began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Me being dumb

I selected PW3 lol for my PW4. Now with P4 works. It was just my mistake. Thanks! Currently JB booting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidnull View Post
[null@artix mnt]$ cd .demo/
[null@artix .demo]$ ls
[null@artix .demo]$ pwd
/mnt/.demo
[null@artix .demo]$ ls
[null@artix .demo]$

I mount the kindle to /mnt

First made new folder in /mnt called "us". So it was /mnt/us/

Inside I tried to make .demo folder. It did not work.

After I read that us is root so removed the "us" folder and added the .demo folder in the root /mnt/.demo

After that my kindle froze and did hard boot, went to demo, sideload without connect to usb and clicked done.

After that again nothing happened when I prompted to jailbreak.

My locale is UK.
voidnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:52 AM   #117
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@katadelos Maybe also updated the readme inside zip?

Couple of questions:

1) what exactly makes zip "payloads" firmware specific? For PW5 as far as I could see the only different file is "appreg.db-journal"?

2) re: reverting to older UI (the one with static top bar menu):

2a) does connecting to WiFi and sync-ing books revert/undo those changes to /var/local/CHROME_CONFIG

2b) can you confirm that when you do those changes on both fw 5.14.1.1 and 5.14.2 you can hide "Home view" and get the exact same UI as on fw 5.13.6

2c) Does front-light slider UI also reverts to old look

3) is there real brick potential if I would stubbornly try using 5.14.1.1 payload on 5.14.0.1 firmware? Or it just wouldn't work?
  1. Trade secret for now
  2. It shouldn't do, 5.14.2 has slightly more aggressive behavior though - it's worth grepping through the Upstart scripts to see how CHROME_CONFIG is managed on that version. You can get the old-old UI only on 5.14.1.1, with 5.14.2 you can only revert to the 5.13.7 style UI. The slider will match the UI version that you've set the device to use.
  3. Probably not hard brick potential but I wouldn't advise this as it just wouldn't work. There's no payload for 5.14.0.1 as it's the initial firmware version but I'd still advise updating to 5.14.1.1 at a minimum as there's some stability issues on PW5 on versions prior to that.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:54 AM   #118
abyssjuste
abyssjuste began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KV, Oasis3 | KOBO Libra2
jailbreak script run and reboot
but in this time, i can't skip the misconfiguration lockout using the "secret gesture" ....

need help

i've double tap and swipe my fingers many times.......
abyssjuste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:58 AM   #119
Lilarcor
Lilarcor began at the beginning.

Device: H2O
Setup

1. Factory reset the device Make sure to use the "en_GB" or "English (United Kingdom)" locale when setting the language.
2. Type ;enter_demo in the Kindle search bar after performing a factory reset
3. Reboot the device
4.Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter dummy values for store registration when prompted.
5.Skip searching for a demo payload
6. Select the "standard" demo type
7. Press "Done" at the prompt to sideload content. Do not sideload the jailbreak at this stage.
8.Once the demo is setup, skip the misconfiguration lockout using the "secret gesture" (double finger tap on bottom right of screen then swipe left)
9.Enter the demo configuration menu by typing ;demo into the search bar
10. Select the "Sideload Content" option

Mine is KO1 , 5.14.2

I went to step 4, and in demo mode, system didn't ask me for setting up wifi or registering, I was skipping wifi setup when it was in stanard mode. And I didn't see "standard" in step 6 and no idea what's demo payload in 5.

Help please.
Lilarcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:04 AM   #120
Nochii
Nochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipseNochii can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssjuste View Post
jailbreak script run and reboot
but in this time, i can't skip the misconfiguration lockout using the "secret gesture" ....

need help

i've double tap and swipe my fingers many times.......
here you are
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JzuIGbGPpig
Nochii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak