Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2024, 12:52 PM   #91
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Ha! Well my description made you feel something I suppose.

I challenge you when next passing a used bookshop to hold your breath and enter. Make you way to the very centre...then take in a lovely deep breath in...

I've actually done this in my DREAMS! For me, there is nothing to compare to entering a used book store and getting 'lost' for hours and hours!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:55 PM   #92
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I like the smell of old books and the smell of what I think of as "library" is both happy and evocative. But what I miss most about paper books is being able to flip back to an earlier part of the book to the reference I want, going by sense memory based on thickness of pages read at that point and location on page.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2024, 01:05 PM   #93
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I'm not sure whether I would ever use them if they still existed, but I used to enjoy browsing card catalogs in libraries, and I have fond memories of doing so, and sometimes miss them.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:15 PM   #94
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I like the smell of old books and the smell of what I think of as "library" is both happy and evocative. But what I miss most about paper books is being able to flip back to an earlier part of the book to the reference I want, going by sense memory based on thickness of pages read at that point and location on page.
I find it much easier to search for a word or a phrase; flipping back and finding what I wanted always took me far longer.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:21 PM   #95
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I challenge you when next passing a used bookshop to hold your breath and enter. Make you way to the very centre...then take in a lovely deep breath in...

No thanks. I actually once fainted in a used bookshop. True, not so much because I was overwhelmed by the stink of old, musty paper, but because I had problems with low blood pressure when I was in my early twenties. Still, the smell is associated with dizziness and nausea for me to this day.
Advert
Old 01-25-2024, 01:28 PM   #96
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm not sure whether I would ever use them if they still existed, but I used to enjoy browsing card catalogs in libraries, and I have fond memories of doing so, and sometimes miss them.
Two things: The sense memory, again; that satisfying "chunk" when you took a drawer out and put it on a table, and the feel of the index cards as you flipped through them. Oh, and one more -- seeing cards that went way back and were handwritten. The jumble was aesthetically pleasing.

The other was the serendipity of it, as you flipped through the cards you'd run across a book you'd never heard of, but was exactly the kind of thing you wanted to read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:35 PM   #97
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Two things: The sense memory, again; that satisfying "chunk" when you took a drawer out and put it on a table, and the feel of the index cards as you flipped through them. Oh, and one more -- seeing cards that went way back and were handwritten. The jumble was aesthetically pleasing.

The other was the serendipity of it, as you flipped through the cards you'd run across a book you'd never heard of, but was exactly the kind of thing you wanted to read.
I too remember spending hours browsing the index cards, but again, I actually hated it. I searched them because I wanted to find something specific, but I never enjoyed it. And I often got a headache browsing them, with their microscopic print.

I just don't get the attraction paper seems to hold for many people even now. I've never felt it, even though I grew up with paper books like most of you.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:38 PM   #98
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I searched them because I wanted to find something specific, but I never enjoyed it. ...
I just don't get the attraction paper seems to hold for many people even now. I've never felt it, even though I grew up with paper books like most of you.
DITTO.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 04:48 PM   #99
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:

I worked in a college library that still had physical cards and I agree with all of this.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new tools we have, but I definitely benefited from the card catalog back in the day. I also appreciate that with the cards, there was never any record anywhere of what you had searched for.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:23 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My ereader is still absent, having been sent off for a warranty repair. I fear it may have been lost by the postal service in the country it was shipped to.

On a whim I picked up a pulp horror paperback from a "borrow and return" selection at a local coffee shop. I only picked up the book to keep myself amused whilst I drank my coffee, but ended up wanting to finish it so away with me it went! The novel is surprisingly well written and is providing that wonderful lust of "just one more page".

The pages of the book are that glorious orangey-brown colour from being well seasoned by time. The pages smell divine; that heady, woody, delightfully musty perfume of adventure only old books seem to provide.

I have to admit, I've very much missed the simple joy in the experience of reading a physical book.
And when you drop because of the noxious fumes, don't say you weren't warmed. And don't forget the mold. So once a book starts to turn, it's time to throw it away before it makes you sick or dead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:24 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I challenge you when next passing a used bookshop to hold your breath and enter. Make you way to the very centre...then take in a lovely deep breath...

And then you get the pleasure of an ambulance ride to the hospital as you as pass-out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:39 PM   #102
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Unlike me, my parents weren't "book people" and we didn't have much money, so the library was my very close friend as a kid and teen. I have deeply fond memories of library runs and coming home with a tower of books in which to lose myself.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:22 AM   #103
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And then you get the pleasure of an ambulance ride to the hospital as you as pass-out.
Come to think of it, my local A&E is always extremely busy. Must be due to the constant stream of Librarians and library patrons. They simply must be stopped!
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 08:43 AM   #104
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And when you drop because of the noxious fumes, don't say you weren't warmed. And don't forget the mold. So once a book starts to turn, it's time to throw it away before it makes you sick or dead.
"The Name of the Rose" and several other novels. I think one of the Joan Aiken novels has the poisoned book trope.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:37 PM   #105
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One of my acquaintances works in a university library. About 15% of their books from the 1830s-1870s have green covers that used arsenic in the colourant. Like many libraries, they have a safe handling sheet for these books. It pretty much follows the one in the Poison Book Project.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote