Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-26-2024, 04:14 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One of my acquaintances works in a university library. About 15% of their books from the 1830s-1870s have green covers that used arsenic in the colourant. Like many libraries, they have a safe handling sheet for these books. It pretty much follows the one in the Poison Book Project.
I never knew that old books were made with dangerous/toxic chemicals.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:35 PM   #107
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I never knew that old books were made with dangerous/toxic chemicals.
Arsenic was used quite extensively in at least two green pigments—Scheele's green which was later replaced by Paris green (aka emerald green). Paris/emerald green chemically was copper acetoarsenite while Scheele's green was cupric hydrogen arsenite.

Not only were they used in book covers and illustrations, they were used in clothing. Admittedly, this was an era where one two volume book I used to own recommended coating the inside of windows with sulphuric acid to prevent them from frosting. Even looking at the section on photography suggested that worrying about the effect of chemicals on your life span was not a big concern.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2024, 08:50 PM   #108
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
People were quite cavalier with all sorts of chemicals in the past.
From "Harper's Electricity Book for Boys" 1907, instructions for silver-plating:
Quote:
Dissolve two ounces of cyanide of potassium in a quart of water.
No mention of toxicity or safety precautions.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:02 PM   #109
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I have a textbook from the 1950s talking about how lead is highly versatile to be used in both paint and gasoline.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:35 PM   #110
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Considering that white lead was used as a cosmetic? It created a soft-focus look that blurs wrinkles and blemishes or the look of a youthful, dewy complexion(*). Sadly one popular mix was white lead and vinegar used by Elizabeth I. That mix allows lead to much more easily absorbed through the skin. Killing yourself to look beautiful is not a modern invention.

* That was from one study I read which found the white lead was much more natural looking that the titanium dioxide used by actors when playing someone wearing white lead.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2024, 05:31 AM   #111
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Up through the "80s I could buy cyanide eggs for stripping and plating and have it shipped to my store. The number one choice for suicide by bench jewelers used to be swallowing a cyanide egg. You could also kill yourself and any others around you if you did not have proper ventilation when plating. Now everything is cyanide free for some reason.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:15 PM   #112
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I absolutely hate the look, feel and smell of old paper books, and dislike even that of the new ones. Never understood the fascination with the physical aspects of paper, especially old paper. Your description actually made me want to puke.
Amen! Anyone like me with allergies will immediately start sneezing or try to cough up a lung!

Give me a nice dust free phone, tablet, reader or pc thank you very much!!!!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:17 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The joy of reading on a Kindle is when you turn on WiFi to download what you just bought and all of your side loaded eBook get removed by Amazon.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:19 PM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Amen! Anyone like me with allergies will immediately start sneezing or try to cough up a lung!

Give me a nice dust free phone, tablet, reader or pc thank you very much!!!!
Dust mites, buts, mold, mildew, toxic chemicals, dust, and other nasty stuff on paper books and people want to inhale it all. Emergency room here they come.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:03 PM   #115
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The joy of reading on a Kindle is when you turn on WiFi to download what you just bought and all of your side loaded eBook get removed by Amazon.
That's an awfully strange joy.

On the topic, pretty much a lot of posts I've read indicate that the Kindle is so sideload-unfriendly (covers going missing, for example) that I wonder why anybody even uses them.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:27 PM   #116
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
On the topic, pretty much a lot of posts I've read indicate that the Kindle is so sideload-unfriendly (covers going missing, for example) that I wonder why anybody even uses them.
Kindles permanently in airplane mode don't have those problems.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:40 PM   #117
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm looking forward to reading this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fandf.png
Views:	81
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	206099  
Old 01-29-2024, 08:00 PM   #118
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I'm looking forward to reading this one:
What in the fudge?
Old 01-29-2024, 08:27 PM   #119
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
What in the fudge?
There is a juvenile botany book with that cover.
Somehow they also used it for A.C. Doyle in Finnish.
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sea...t_search=Go%21
I reported it a few days ago.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:32 PM   #120
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
That's an awfully strange joy.

Kobos are so much better. Plug it in, transfer your books, unplug it... corrupted database.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote