Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-22-2023, 12:49 AM   #1
msamp
msamp began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook inkpad lite
inkpad lite - can't handle the math?

i got an inkpad lite not too long ago and i have to say i'm disappointed. i have a few books in epub format with a lot of mathematical symbols and the lite is amazingly slow doing whatever it does when i turn a page. it can take a minute or more for the page to display. the epub appears to be fine - it has no trouble opening and turning pages in ereader software on my pc and android.

any thoughts on what i might need to do to speed things up?

i tried koreader but it can't even display the proper symbols.
msamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 03:52 PM   #2
orontee
Connoisseur
orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.

Device: Vivlio Touch HD Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamp View Post
(...) any thoughts on what i might need to do to speed things up?
Can you share one of those books so we can try on other devices?
orontee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2023, 07:12 PM   #3
msamp
msamp began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook inkpad lite
i'm hesitant to upload copyrighted material. The book I'm currently trying to get to display correctly is Leonard Susskind 'Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory'
msamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:24 AM   #4
orontee
Connoisseur
orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamp View Post
i'm hesitant to upload copyrighted material. The book I'm currently trying to get to display correctly is Leonard Susskind 'Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory'
I understand.

From my POV, math rendering is broken (or it is the EPUB producers that don't do their job correctly, I've not investigated so far) whatever the e-reader model or brand is. Even simple things as exponents aren't rendered as expected! See the attached screenshot from "The Rust Programming Language".

And changing the font doesn't help; At least with default fonts.

Nonsense...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0889.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	609.6 KB
ID:	204467  

Last edited by orontee; 10-29-2023 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:07 AM   #5
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Likely the epub conversion has been done badly.

I can view all the math symbols in this epub correctly:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/71655.epub3.images

EDIT... actually I think the symbols/equations in this book are all images...

I've also tried adding some fonts that directly support mathematic symbols to my Pockebook, but it still fails.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-29-2023 at 04:54 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2023, 04:25 PM   #6
orontee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Likely the epub conversion has been done badly.
Well, the HTML embedded in the EPUB uses "<sup>" elements which is ok for such simple math formulas, but the CSS stylesheet redefines how such elements must be rendered, resetting their vertical alignment!

If one removes the two silly references to sub and sup in the EPUB stylesheet, then the rendering is as expected both on my computer and my ereader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	204476