Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-23-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
lhuxley
lhuxley began at the beginning.

Device: various
Soft Hyphen

I am converting a rather ancient book to ebook format using Calibre. I would like to preserve the hypens in the text for historical reasons. I'd also like the text to reflow normally. The obvious choice would be to replace the original hyphens with soft hyphens. However soft hyphens are invisible in the main editor window.

Is there any way to make soft hyphens visible? I've tried changing the font but that doesn't work.
lhuxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 AM   #2
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nope...

The only way would be Search and Replace by a character placeholder which you were sure it's not used in your text.

Somewhere I made a suggestion about using something like a "white-list" of named entities in order to help handle situations like this. Calibre encourages the use of Unicode characters instead of named entities. But the problem appears with invisible ones. Maybe a customizable list could be used so with certain chars Calibre worked the opposite way. But maybe it's too much coding effort.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2015, 02:56 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use a placeholder like ||

When you are done, editing simply search and replace all occurrences.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
lhuxley
lhuxley began at the beginning.

Device: various
Thanks Kovid,

I was looking for something that I could leave in the file. But your suggestion will work just fine.
lhuxley is offline   Reply With Quote