Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
jekoby
jekoby began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I keep series data?

I have a large main Calibre library, and all my series have data in the "series" column. I am transferring/copying some of my library to a new library for my granddaughter, who is getting a Kindle for Christmas. When I add books to her library from "my" library, I lose the series data and have to re-do it in her library.

Is there a simple way to keep that data that I'm missing? I've tried doing some searches on it, but haven't found anything that answers my question and I'm running out of time, so I'd appreciate some direction on this if possible.

Thanks!
jekoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Use the copy to library function, available by right-clicking on a book. That copies everything known about the book to the other library. You do need to switch between 'your' and your 'grandaughter's' libraries once to get the library name into the destination list.

You can also do it using save to disk. Save books with metadata (opf included) one book per folder, then in the other library, use add books, one book per folder. In this instance, calibre knows that the opf file (the metadata) is associated with the book and will fetch the info.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
jekoby
jekoby began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oh my gosh! I KNEW it was going to be something embarrassingly simple! Using the copy to library function works wonderfully! I also knew that if I asked the question here I'd get an answer - I've learned so much from just browsing. This is a terrific resource and I very much appreciate the help.

Thanks a ton!
jekoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoby View Post
Oh my gosh! I KNEW it was going to be something embarrassingly simple!
Nothing is simple until one knows how to do it.

The number of things calibre can do is mind boggling, almost beyond comprehension. Even after a year of working with/developing features for calibre, I very frequently discover things I didn't know it could do. Couple that with all the new features arriving weekly and the things I forget (something happening more and more frequently), and the process becomes 'interesting'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah, I often feel I've forgotten more about calibre than I currently remember
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah, I often feel I've forgotten more about calibre than I currently remember
At times, that can be a good thing. I find remembering too much means I keep remembering limitations of, or workarounds for, old versions that no longer apply. Calibre changes so quickly that having the older crud fade away can be good.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote