Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
Susan A
Groupie
Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Aura H20
Aura H2O - stuck sleeping

I was reading on my KOBO Aura H20. I turned it off by the power button. Then I decided to keep reading, and I pushed the power button - -nothing. It will not turn back on. The screen is blank and the word "slpeeing" is in the corner.

I''m 99% certain it is not out of power, although since I can't turn it on, I don't actually know for certain. I did plug it into my laptop, but my laptop doesn't recognize that it is there. The screen usually changes and asks me if I want to connect - -that didn't happen.

Is it dead? Just like that? Is there a way to reset it or restart it? I don't see a reset button.

THanks for your help.
Susan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Reset button is in the same place as SD/USB slot. It's a small hole and you can trigger it with a paper clip or mechanical pencil; don't use pointy/sharp objects, so no needles.

Holding the power button for up to 30 seconds might work too, though. Usually an already sleeping device goes into "power off" and then you can just turn it back on.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Susan A
Groupie
Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Aura H20
Oh thank you thank you thank you!!!

The button holding didn't work, but the paper clip did.
Susan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My H2O got stuck on the sleeping screen today and even the paperclip did not help. In fact nothing whatsoever helped (power button, paperclip, pushing either once or holding for a while, connecting USB charger, ...). I even removed the internal SD card (my H2O has an access hatch for it) and replaced it with another one (I have several working copies) and tried the resets all over again...

Stuck completely. No reaction, no LED, no display change [still the sleep screen], ... Nothing. I don't know what happened.

I ended up opening the device, physically disconnect the battery and reconnect and it came back to life. Phew.

After it came up I tested the reset button. It works just fine. I thought it was hooked to the battery somehow (so it always works) but apparently there is a difference between reset button and battery disconnect, and something made my H2O crash hard enough to disable the reset button functionality.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Your story really sounds bad. Glad you found way to revive your H2O. Problem could be for the rest of us how to disconnect battery.

Maybe we should have a thread (or wiki) for opening our Kobos?
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert