Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-29-2024, 07:06 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sure you can use rsync, but you'd be better off (IMHO) with FreeFileSync.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:03 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Depends if Linux or Window or Mac what is best.
I use a GUI wrapper on rsync called grsync which allows "dry runs".
Also rsync is built-in on LinuxD and used by Timeshift, the current recommended system back-up restore.

The important things are only one-way and that no Calibre component is running.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2024, 10:18 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Depends if Linux or Window or Mac what is best.
I use a GUI wrapper on rsync called grsync which allows "dry runs".
Also rsync is built-in on LinuxD and used by Timeshift, the current recommended system back-up restore.

The important things are only one-way and that no Calibre component is running.
FreeFileSync runs on Windows, MacOS, and Linux and has a GUI.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:29 AM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
*sighs*
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:36 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
*sighs*
Plus 1
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2024, 02:04 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Plus 1
I'll raise you 3
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:19 PM   #22
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm willing to bet that FreeFileSync is nothing more than a GUI on top of rsync internals. Not everybody needs a GUI. Some of use run servers that don't even support GUI's.

I have no problem with people using GUI's if they need or want that. Problems can occur if a GUI wrapper project is later abandoned and not readily available for a platform where you need it. If that happens, the people who know how to use the underlying program(s) that the GUI wrappers hide are going to be miles ahead in the game. But still, nothing wrong with using a GUI, especially if you know the underlying program(s) as well. Then you're really set.

I see GUI's as best for (1) Convenience (sometimes), and (2) New users or users that rarely use that functionality and thus benefit with point-n-click, menu drop-downs and other handholding and help to get them through the process.

That being said, I'm certainly using a GUI right now to respond to this post - a web browser. I'm most certainly not invoking HTTP links manually using wget or curl or something like that. Web browsers are "convenient" like that.

Last edited by haertig; 05-01-2024 at 01:23 AM.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:30 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's also some shadiness of FreeFileSync possibly violating GPL, which is why I'm very reluctant to recommend it.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-30-2024 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:21 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
There's also some shadiness of FreeFileSync possibly violating GPL, which is why I'm very reluctant to recommend it.
Are you sure it's still that way as that post is from 2016 and FFS is now up to version 13.x?
Old 04-30-2024, 05:56 PM   #25
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

There's a thread on the FFS site from this year.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:10 AM   #26
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
This sounds vaguely reminiscent of the DeDRM vs. Epubdor conversation, although that conversation is not about licensing. But it's similar in that Person B is possibly taking Person A's code and using in in a way not desired by Person A.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:53 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
*sighs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'll raise you 3
Yes, me also.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:57 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I'm willing to bet that FreeFileSync is nothing more than a GUI on top of rsync internals. Not everybody needs a GUI. Some of use run servers that don't even support GUI's.

I have no problem with people using GUI's if they need or want that. Problems can occur if a GUI wrapper project is later abandoned and not readily available for a platform where you need it. If that happens, the people who know how to use the underlying program(s) that the GUI wrappers hide are going to be miles ahead in the game. But still, nothing wrong with using a GUI, especially if you know the underlying program(s) as well. Then you're really set.

I see GUI's as best for (1) Convenience (sometimes), and (2) New users or users that rarely use that functionality and thus benefit with point-n-click, menu drop-downs and other handholding and help to get them through the process.

That being said, I'm certainly using a GUI right now to respond to this post - a web browser. I'm most certainly not invoking HTTP links manually using wget or curl or something like that. Web browsers are "convenient" like that.
Yes, I've used rsync directly, but grsync is widely supported/distributed and is a very handy GUI for rsync. So there is less to mess up. I can't think why anyone on Linux would want some other solution.

Similarly I use Filezilla on Linux, though the functionality of SFTP / FTP is available without it.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:07 PM   #29
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
So, went back and did it again (because I bought a couple books in the past few days and needed to back them up), and, yeah, I had "--ignore-existing" on in the rsync arguments, and that's why the metadata file wasn't coming over. I copied the metadata.db and metata.db backup files manually, and all is good now.

That makes me even more confused, though, as to why I had so many books that rsync needed to re-copy when I did my last sync. I did a full backup and restore in August 2023 (which included full library and config files). When I did the first rsync a couple weeks ago, a bunch of books that were already there were picked up by rsync again. Did Calibre make some change between versions that renamed some of the library folders on the filesystem such that rsync saw them as new files and needed to copy them? That's the only thing I can think of that would explain it.

Otherwise, I probably need to do one more rsync and turn off --ignore-existing just to make sure I'm truly getting everything. If I'm remembering my rsync-fu, even if it flags my entire library as needing to copy, it should basically skip the files and transfer 0/0 bytes on each one when it determines that the hashes between the source and destination of each EPUB are the same, right?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:17 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
So, went back and did it again (because I bought a couple books in the past few days and needed to back them up), and, yeah, I had "--ignore-existing" on in the rsync arguments, and that's why the metadata file wasn't coming over. I copied the metadata.db and metata.db backup files manually, and all is good now.

That makes me even more confused, though, as to why I had so many books that rsync needed to re-copy when I did my last sync. I did a full backup and restore in August 2023 (which included full library and config files). When I did the first rsync a couple weeks ago, a bunch of books that were already there were picked up by rsync again. Did Calibre make some change between versions that renamed some of the library folders on the filesystem such that rsync saw them as new files and needed to copy them? That's the only thing I can think of that would explain it.

Otherwise, I probably need to do one more rsync and turn off --ignore-existing just to make sure I'm truly getting everything. If I'm remembering my rsync-fu, even if it flags my entire library as needing to copy, it should basically skip the files and transfer 0/0 bytes on each one when it determines that the hashes between the source and destination of each EPUB are the same, right?
You need to not tell rsync to ignore existing. What you did with the manual copying could still have a library that's not updated. Just let any new/updated files be copied. If you don't, then don't bother to backup anything as it's a waste of time.

Tags
linux, rsync