Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2024, 12:02 PM   #16
Glenn680
Glenn680 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-650
This is great info on available Sony Reader covers - thank you! Not sure if the T1/T2 seller would ship to the US, but certainly worth asking the question.

I do have a black PRS-650 cover (no built-in light) that I purchased with the used Reader but it's beat to hell. It's falling apart from heavy use. I'll ask on the Flea Market page if anyone has interest in selling a slightly used one.

Also now have a PRS-950 in pristine condition and good battery - love the 7" form factor. Unfortunately though the cover on that one is actually in far worse condition than the 650!
Glenn680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:06 PM   #17
Glenn680
Glenn680 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-650
Same experience trying to find new-in-box Sony Reader covers, not many new to be found. I'd be interested in your tips to refurbish existing ones. Actually have a PRS-650 cover that came with the reader. It's so beat up it's practically unusable in its current state.

Noted your post in Flea Market regarding getting a PRS-950. An obvious idea I hadn't yet considered. Thinking a few in this forum may have a lightly used PRS_650 cover for sale. Worth a shot!
Glenn680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 PM   #18
Soire
Soire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-350, Pocketbook Verse Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn680 View Post
..Same experience trying to find new-in-box Sony Reader covers, not many new to be found. I'd be interested in your tips to refurbish existing ones.
At the moment on ebay.com are a few for 600 and 300 on sale, used or new in boxes.

I will make a tutorial with pictures for refurbishing covers of the T-series hopefully soon. Plus, next week I get in a sc-350 cover in bad shape - I will try out if it works as easy when there is some bolster and stitching.

I can tell you how to reduce the T-covers to "linen-bound" books:

You'll need the backside of a table knife + kitchen paper + Ethanol or Isopropanyl around 85% in a spray bottle. I use the variety for surface disinfection (NOT the one for skin/human/animal, that stuff has added fatty parts, not good).

Spray the liquid on the gummy part (not the part, that looks like leather on the T1 / T2 covers) - starting where the frays are. Let it sit a few seconds, spray again and start scratching gently with the back of the knife.

Keep spraying and scratching in sections, clean the surface with the kitchen paper from time to time to see clearly, if you need to scratch some more.

Try to not touch the leather-looking part at all - that is made of layers of paper glued together at the edges.

Be careful with the spraying around the edge of the cover, because you don't want to unglue the edge at all.

With the T3: that one goes easy - the inside though is fabric as opposed to the gummy stuff on the T1/T2. I once tried to get rid of that but I simply destroyed the cover in the process. I think it might be better to use some adhesive microfaser-fabric without ripping the old - need to test first if the magnets would still hold with that much fabric.

I haven't gotten around to glue new faux leather on the T1 cover but here is what mmc_meneses used:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc_meneses View Post
I bought this one:
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/10050...yAdapt=glo2esp

But I think it would be better this other one...for next time, as it is a bit more wider so i don't need to fold the book with two separated cuts of leather:
https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/100...yAdapt=glo2esp

I hope that could be o f some help
Soire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:21 PM   #19
Soire
Soire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-350, Pocketbook Verse Pro
I just found these brown PRS-600 covers on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1685820...9SIADM2JPG3241

without light version
Soire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, poll, prs-500, sony prs-500