Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Smashwords New Look

Today we released a new look for Smashwords!

We had two primary goals with this project; to better showcase our authors' work, and to make it easier for readers as well as authors to find what they need.

To that end, you'll see cosmetic improvements throughout the entire site, and a completely re-done book info page. We've also redone the accounts page, and made some improvements to the dashboard. (We aren't done with the dashboard though, that table still gets pretty wide!)

We've also made some pretty significant improvements to the handling of the site on small screen devices, and will continue to make similar enhancements for these devices going forward. You don't need a mobile phone to see it, you can just shrink your browser window.

We consider this just a first step, and in the coming months you'll see many more improvements to the site.

Read more about it on Mark Coker's blog post.

Enjoy!

--
Case Talbot
Smashwords Engineer
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It does look like a sleeker, cleaner page I have to agree. One thing I really like is the way the different formats are listed on one line instead of one under another. Easier to make sure you download the format that works best for you this way.

Last edited by crich70; 12-17-2013 at 10:03 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It does look like a sleeker, cleaner page I have to agree. One thing I really like is the way the different formats are listed on one line instead of one under another. Easier to make sure you download the format that works best for you this way.
Glad to hear you like that part too. I enjoyed making it!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
It looks great! Nice job!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Looks very good.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It looks very good for me.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Very nice!
I think it would be a good idea to move "Sign in" to the top of the page.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe include a language choice in the search options or a link to just Non-English ebooks on the site. Most are in English but there are some that aren't which pop up in searches. Just a thought. I have no idea how many Non-English books are up at Smashwords.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Kiya
Addict
Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360
Very nice!

It would be good if there is possibility to sort books in library. I use library as a wish list, so sort would be helpful when looking for particular book.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Still very basic and to the point. I like that about the Smashwords website.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Very nice!
I think it would be a good idea to move "Sign in" to the top of the page.
We've got one up there; top right!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiya View Post
Very nice!

It would be good if there is possibility to sort books in library. I use library as a wish list, so sort would be helpful when looking for particular book.
I'd like to make that feature too. It's on our list, but we need to take care of some high priority stuff elsewhere first.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
nikkie
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Maybe include a language choice in the search options or a link to just Non-English ebooks on the site. Most are in English but there are some that aren't which pop up in searches. Just a thought. I have no idea how many Non-English books are up at Smashwords.
Been on our list for a loooong time. Hopefully we'll get to it soon.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Been on our list for a loooong time. Hopefully we'll get to it soon.
Neat. Sounds like it's more a matter of finding the time to write the code if I understand you right. I imagine that's a problem that every company that uses computers in its business has to some degree or another. (i.e. having the resources and manpower to get the work whatever it is done.) Even without the language choice etc. that have been mentioned here Smashwords does look good and function well. I remember in the past when the format options were stacked sometimes the kindle option would be on top or in the middle and sometimes near the bottom. Makes things much neater to have them as it is now.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
We've got one up there; top right!
Thanks!

I was using a pretty old version of my internet browser. As soon as I updated it, I found the Log in button.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote