Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Marcs1102
Marcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMarcs1102 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: none
Both Ebooks AND Audio books in Calibre

I've Combined/Condensed the posts in another area, and am trying to post simple instructs/steps
i'd appreciate any comments (and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism) to make this simpler/more understandable

Included as a readme.txt on my archive uploads....
First this Archive/Torrent read me/Post assumes (requires) a few (free) things, and attempts to provide answers/instructs

one, calibre as a library manager
(download at http://calibre-ebook.com/)
second, the free VLC Player
(download at http://www.videolan.org/vlc
and set your registry to open .zab files with vlc)
third, the free reader/speaker/speechifier/TTS of epub format ebooks
Download at (http://www.cross-plus-a.com/balabolka.htm
fourth, the free calibre plugin "open with"
(sorry no quick/easy download url but this mobileread page has the plugin zip, and instructs to install
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118761)
(lets you run an program from within calibre....
add it to the context menu, so It can run programs (from within Calibre) while displaying a library/database/book entry,
IE - right click and run the program pointed to by the plugin setup)
fifth, using the above (free plugin), edit the "run with" plug in to add two entries
a "Play Audiobook" (for format zab/path to vlc)
a "Read Epub" (for format epub/path to balabolka)

now you have a calibre library manager that not only handles Ebooks, but also Zipped Audio Books ((as .zab format))
(in my opinion Best of Both Worlds)

FAQ's

What is a ZAB file extension
ZAB = (Z)ipped (A)udio (B)ook
so I just zip the file and rename the .zip extensions to .zab

Why not just zip?
I use Calibre, and it thinks that .zip files are zipped Ebooks
(i use both Audio and E books, so I needed a unique file type for Zipped Audio Books, )

WHY the VLC player?
At the moment, this is the only (free) player that handles zipped/compressed files well...
when a file type is set to play with vlc, it (vlc) ignores other things in the compressed file when playing
(like text JPG etc in the compressed file)

Any Comments or Questions (or suggested revisions) Marc@MarcAlan.Info

I do also have a full browser accessible file server (IP address keeps changing, email me for current access/ip address)
Marcs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Marcs1102 -

Didn't know VLC can deal with a ZIP full of files - avoids having to splice episodes etc

Calibre plugins can be installed from within calibre - Preferences->Plugins>Get new plugins button at bottom left, sort on Plug-in Name (click header) scroll down to Open With and double click.

Very good idea to rename the ZIP of audio books to ZAB I would also register ZAB to Windows with VLC as the 'opener'

Added : I have the Default Programs Editor gadget so I registered ZAB and ZVC (video clips) with VLC as the Player - cute.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-15-2014 at 09:10 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have been using VLC for a loooong time and did not know that I could pass an archive.
I did know it would ignore additional stuff (I use play folder a lot).

Seeing the Archive, it needs to only execute the Playlist (if found), otherwise it will play the files AND the playlist.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a variant of the audio files question rolls back around every couple of months - should there be a sticky explaining best answers to date ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:48 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
a variant of the audio files question rolls back around every couple of months - should there be a sticky explaining best answers to date ?
Like maybe this one ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205016

Over to you DoctorOhh

BR
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Like maybe this one ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205016

Over to you DoctorOhh
You pointed out the sticky thread. I only use epubs in my library. If you think this thread should be linked to, add a post.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You pointed out the sticky thread. I only use epubs in my library. If you think this thread should be linked to, add a post.
Done - see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=6

I'd forgotten MR allows plebeians like me to post into sticky threads, on some forums its only the patricians who can do that

BR
Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I'd forgotten MR allows plebeians like me to post into sticky threads, on some forums its only the patricians who can do that

BR
Calibre has both kinds.
MR uses a lock (kind of hard to see) on the blue box for some of the stickies.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Most all of the non-locked sticky threads are in Calibre's Related Tools forum. Elsewhere you are correct most are locked down for obvious reasons.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i see only 5 threads labelled Sticky - this issue is not one of them.

maybe it's a sticky thread that is not actually tagged sticky but that is far to subtle for me, ands will likely not neter new posters from reapeating the question

the 5 that I do see - labelled sticky - directly below the sub forum list - are
open books.. ,get books... ,editor..., video... , new to ....
Old 02-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
i see only 5 threads labelled Sticky - this issue is not one of them.
It is a sticky thread in the Related Tools section on calibre's forum. There are different sticky threads at the top of each calibre forum.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

fair enough but I guess many folks don't look there.

If I had a query about adding audio files I doubt that I'd think to look under "tools"

general question; is there any way to hide the sub-forums or tweak the layout so that the main forum comes first. when I load my bookmark I always have to scroll down in order to see any new threads, because there is such a long sub-forums list up above ?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
general question; is there any way to hide the sub-forums or tweak the layout so that the main forum comes first. when I load my bookmark I always have to scroll down in order to see any new threads, because there is such a long sub-forums list up above ?
If you use the following URL for your bookmark, it should load the page at the top of the thread list:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/for...66#threadslist
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
If you use the following URL for your bookmark, it should load the page at the top of the thread list:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/for...66#threadslist
thanks for that. works as described