Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Google has broken CC access to Google Drive

Apparently, in its infinite wisdom Google has decided to block all app-specific "WebView" authentication to Google Drive. This is justified as a convenience to its users. As a consequence, CC can no longer open cloud libraries on Drive.

I am investigating whether it is practical for me to fix this. At the moment it doesn't look good. I might end up removing Drive support from CC.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a workaround that I will include in the next release. It is a bit of a hack so I don't know if it will work everywhere. We will see.
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 01:20 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
slightly off topic, but will that affect all android reader apps that could previously directly bwose G drive, or is it aimed just at you
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:14 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
slightly off topic, but will that affect all android reader apps that could previously directly bwose G drive, or is it aimed just at you
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: the change isn't to GDrive, but is instead to Google authentication (OAUTH2). A person using an app must somehow authenticate with Google in order to use any Google service: calendar, mail, drive, photos, and so on. Google wants to prevent (discourage) apps from using an embedded web browser to authenticate and retrieve the access tokens. Their claim is that it isn't the optimal user experience, which is perhaps true. Unfortunately their "suggested approaches" are some combination of:
  • not cross provider. They work only with Google authentication.
  • not supporting android back to 4.0
  • not working at all on devices without Google Services (e.g., Fire, many e-ink readers).
  • not program-architecture compatible, meaning implementation is hard.
which means that CC cannot use them without significant unpleasant side effects, either to me (lots (!) of work), to CC users, or both.

I am not sure what the "real" reasons are for the change. I doubt that it is the stated reason, but is instead an attempt to build a higher wall around their garden.

I have no idea how many apps this change effects. From the recent chatter on the web, the number isn't small.