Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Question about File Locations

I've been saving my epubs and PDFs in directories under author names. When imported into calibre, that program creates its own copies of those files in its library. My question is, after importing into calibre and processing as required, is there any need or advantage in retaining the original files or are they just using valuable disk space?

K
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrowNB View Post
is there any need or advantage in retaining the original files or are they just using valuable disk space?
They are just using valuable disk space. A lot of users will archive the originals to a DVD or other media as a backup.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrowNB View Post
I've been saving my epubs and PDFs in directories under author names. When imported into calibre, that program creates its own copies of those files in its library. My question is, after importing into calibre and processing as required, is there any need or advantage in retaining the original files or are they just using valuable disk space?

K
This has been a hot topic at times but your approach is a refreshing change from the usual, "calibre messed up my files so it's no good." Thanks for that.

Whether you want to keep your original books is up to you and also depends on how much disk space you have. Once calibre copies your originals to its own folder, it no longer needs them so you can safely delete them. However, you would be wise to maintain a backup copy (several, including one offsite, would be even better; this also applies to the rest of your computer) of calibre's folder. If you decide you want your books back in their original form, you can always use the Save to Disk feature to restore them.

Some people are uncomfortable with calibre using its own format to store files so they keep their originals. In my case, it was because I was trying calibre out and wanted to keep my originals in case I didn't like it. I have plenty of disk space so it was a harmless paranoia. I defintely like calibre now and I now just keep my originals mostly out of habit. If ever I start running out of disk space (I still have plenty), the originals are history.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I keep the originals around in my download area, and at random intervals I back that up to DVD. My 2500 or so books are using about a dollar worth of disk space, so I can deal. (note: my books are almost all epubs or text files; had they all been PDFs, that space usage could skyrocket to almost the price of a large Starbucks coffee)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
pollito pito
i warned you ...
pollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
This has been a hot topic at times but your approach is a refreshing change from the usual, "calibre messed up my files so it's no good." Thanks for that.
Amen!
pollito pito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
VALUABLE disk space????????

Disk space is currently available for under 4 cents per GIGABYTE. So to store approximately 1000 books costs you 4 cents.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

Disk space is currently available for under 4 cents per GIGABYTE. So to store approximately 1000 books costs you 4 cents.
Thanks to everyone that replied. Of course I know I have to backup - been caught by that before! I guess "valuable" was probably not the correct word to use. It was a reference not to cost but to what's available on my main drive. I'm periodically having to delete files from it to maintain enough free space to ensure no problems running or installing applications. I just wanted to know if I only backed up the calibre library files and deleted the original files if that would come back to haunt me some day. I've got my answer now. Thanks again.

K
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

While what you say is true, not everyone can afford even that. Some people are on really tight budgets. Where they live has a lot to do with the actual cost of upgrades. Others may be running older machines that can handle only one drive and don't have the capability to add another drive or transfer everything to a new drive. Not everyone even knows how to change out a hard drive and the thought of learning how to do so terrifies them (not everyone is a geek).
Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I too, thought, "Oh, here we go again".

It WAS refreshing to see a genuine take on the 'hot topic' Lady F referred to.

My answer:

As has been stated, they're taking up space. My view is that I'm converting a book from an 'original' file for a reason, and so, after I've tweaked metadata and ensured the integrity of the conversion, I have no need of the original at all, and I delete it. I see no need, personally (and this IS a personal wants-or-doesn't sort of thing) to make backups of inferior copies of books.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
While what you say is true, not everyone can afford even that. Some people are on really tight budgets. Where they live has a lot to do with the actual cost of upgrades. Others may be running older machines that can handle only one drive and don't have the capability to add another drive or transfer everything to a new drive. Not everyone even knows how to change out a hard drive and the thought of learning how to do so terrifies them (not everyone is a geek).
There are no 'geeks' in your neighborhood that work for cookies(chocolate-chip, of coarse ) and milk?

Folks really need to learn how to dust inside, SAFELY (to the equipment: Static-Ouch!). If your PC is near the floor, this should happen about every 2K hours, just to clear the fins and vent holes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There are no 'geeks' in your neighborhood that work for cookies(chocolate-chip, of coarse ) and milk?

Folks really need to learn how to dust inside, SAFELY (to the equipment: Static-Ouch!). If your PC is near the floor, this should happen about every 2K hours, just to clear the fins and vent holes.
To whom are you addressing this? I was merely playing Devil's Advocate.

It is funny that you brought up dusting the inside of a computer, though (although I have no clue why; what does it have to do with upgrading hard drives?), since I dusted mine a couple of days ago (and I am NOT a geek!). 2K hours many be a a bit too long in my home since my house resembles Oklahoma during the '30s, no matter how often I clean it.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 02-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
To whom are you addressing this? I was merely playing Devil's Advocate.

It is funny that you brought up dusting the inside of a computer, though (although I have no clue why; what does it have to do with upgrading hard drives?), since I dusted mine a couple of days ago (and I am NOT a geek!). 2K hours many be a a bit too long in my home since my house resembles Oklahoma during the '30s, no matter how often I clean it.
I brought it up in 'changing Hard drives', as the same people that are scared to tackle the HD upgrade job, will probably NOT open up and 'dust' either

Floor level systems collect more Lint, which block air flow (inside and entry). Dust just reduces cooling efficiency (unless it contains high metallic content, then ).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I brought it up in 'changing Hard drives', as the same people that are scared to tackle the HD upgrade job, will probably NOT open up and 'dust' either

Floor level systems collect more Lint, which block air flow (inside and entry). Dust just reduces cooling efficiency (unless it contains high metallic content, then ).
Cleaning out dust is much easier than swapping HDDs. My machine is at desk level and still collects dust like a stray dog collects fleas. Fortunately, all I have to do is shine the little flashlight I always keep on my desk (old age sucks!) on the grill on the side of my computer. If I see dust, I open her up and gently blow it out with canned air (and yes, I do know to not spin the fans and to not touch anything unless I'm grounded).

The carrots seem to do well in the dust in my house so it mustn't have too high a metalic content (it does tend to glow in the dark though). All seriousness aside, it's interesting where the dust comes from. Before I started my book scanning project, most of the dust that got into my computer was fine grained house dust. Now, it's long fiber paper dust. That stuff is really insidious!

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 02-21-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Senioritis
Old 02-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Uh oh. I am a geek.. and I do spin the fans! Forgive me for I have sinned! (I also vacuum out my PCs).

Back to the thread at hand... this is good to know as I have a tendency to just keep everything. I also find that when I import a new book into calibre (that I've bought from a source other than Amazon), calibre stores it in the format that I purchased it. And when I email it to my K3, calibre converts it to mobi and stores that too. So I end up with 3 copies of the file: the original, a clean copy in original format, and the mobi version.

I could delete all but the mobi version, but they take up so little space (in the scheme of things), that I haven't bothered to do so. Yet.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Uh oh. I am a geek.. and I do spin the fans! Forgive me for I have sinned! (I also vacuum out my PCs). ...
10 Hail Marys... I've been told that vacuuming can cause static discharge.