Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-29-2024, 04:35 AM   #1
bkpsusmitaa
bkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: calibre in debian bullseye
Hello, Forum Admins, Leaders and Senior Members!

I have been using Calibre for a few years now as an ebook reader.

I am interested in creating a word/phrase Index usually available at the end of a book and linking them to the places where the words or phrases are.

I can use a python script for sorting out words (greater than 3 chars) and phrases.

I was wondering if I could learn to incorporate the aforesaid list available with the text document in calibre in a WYSIWYG environment. So that I could click on a particular word or a phrase in the index created with the said list and let Calibre take me to the word. I have already seen this in Calibre and the xml codes available.

I have used recoll+xapian to create a database of words and also binary string searches for a zim desktop wiki multiple text files, but the recoll frontend can not used for a book. An index at the end of a book is the preferred system.

This was my primary objective for my initially joining the MobileRead forums. I also see that there are avenues for further growth.

I would expect that the forums assists in my growth.

Best wishes,
Rajib
bkpsusmitaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:01 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you know that the spelling checker can show ALL words (not just the ones with spelling issues)

AND

If you double click the word (Left side), it jumps to the use in the book
(and the next if you double-click again)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2024, 01:59 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkpsusmitaa View Post
I have been using Calibre for a few years now as an ebook reader.

I am interested in creating a word/phrase Index usually available at the end of a book and linking them to the places where the words or phrases are.

I can use a python script for sorting out words (greater than 3 chars) and phrases.

I was wondering if I could learn to incorporate the aforesaid list available with the text document in calibre in a WYSIWYG environment. So that I could click on a particular word or a phrase in the index created with the said list and let Calibre take me to the word. I have already seen this in Calibre and the xml codes available.

I have used recoll+xapian to create a database of words and also binary string searches for a zim desktop wiki multiple text files, but the recoll frontend can not used for a book. An index at the end of a book is the preferred system.

This was my primary objective for my initially joining the MobileRead forums. I also see that there are avenues for further growth.

I would expect that the forums assists in my growth.

Best wishes,
Rajib
The Sigil EPUB Editor has a tool to build an index, I can't see one in the calibre book editor.

I also suggest you have a look in the Workshop forum where you'll find threads such as this one ==>> cross-referencing in an EPUB?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:31 AM   #4
bkpsusmitaa
bkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beautybkpsusmitaa does all things with Zen-like beauty

More questions ...

Thank you, Mr. theducks and Mr. BetterRed, for replying to my first time. What are you two?! AIs?! Your Karmas and the number of your posts are mindboggling! Wow!

Mr. BetterRed, I had been to your suggested webpage.The first reply itself says that "writing WITH Sigil is generally a bad idea".

Mr. ButterRed, I am trying to understand your purpose, not to criticise your approach: was it necessary to quote my entire post? I would have done it like:
Quote:
I have been using Calibre ... Best wishes ...
My content is a digital inter-linked book, with a lot of links between pages within. I created it in Zim Desktop Wiki in Debian Bullseye.

Presently, I am concerned with Indexing. If you say that calibre doesn't have a tool to index, then it is futile to continue learning Calibre for this purpose.

But I have read books in Calibre, each of which has a wonderfully linked index at the end of each book. The ebook-editor accompanying the package `calibre`, run by its desktop icon, or command `ebook-edit`, shows an index at the end of a book as an xml file,
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
so wonderfully laid out, with extensively indexed word-list, each of which faithfully leads to the linked text.

In zim, extensive cross-linking can be accomplished with Tags. But I haven't learnt zim that much to determine if I could use indexing there.

I am an author, a creator. I am not a programmer or a developer. So I find myself limited on this front.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There are folk with MORE posts than myself.
1) My MR join date was almost 14Y ago
2) I am retired (so I have time to post)
3) I had decades in Tech (I was shocked to find out how close to bleeding edge some of that was )
4) Age Plenty of chances to have 'Learning Experiences' (not sure how I survived some of those )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2024, 12:54 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Mr. BetterRed, I had been to your suggested webpage.The first reply itself says that "writing WITH Sigil is generally a bad idea".
Sigil is an editor for ePub files. Most people write the original ebook in a WYSIWYG word processor and then use Sigil to create a standards compliant ePub using that file as input. In your case, you might to look at tools such as zim2epub to convert your .zim files to .epub files.

Quote:
Presently, I am concerned with Indexing. If you say that calibre doesn't have a tool to index, then it is futile to continue learning Calibre for this purpose.

But I have read books in Calibre, each of which has a wonderfully linked index at the end of each book. The ebook-editor accompanying the package `calibre`, run by its desktop icon, or command `ebook-edit`, shows an index at the end of a book as an xml file,
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
so wonderfully laid out, with extensively indexed word-list, each of which faithfully leads to the linked text.
The code you posted is simply the header lines for an ePub2 xhtml file missing the DOCTYPE required by the ePub which calibre tends to leave out.

The index is created by a tool external to calibre. As mentioned, Sigil does have an index creation tool.

Quote:
In zim, extensive cross-linking can be accomplished with Tags. But I haven't learnt zim that much to determine if I could use indexing there.

I am an author, a creator. I am not a programmer or a developer. So I find myself limited on this front.
Basically, you can either learn how to create your own indexes or you can pay someone else to do so. Quite a few authors prefer the second approach.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:12 AM   #7
bkpsusmitaa

Regarding Sigil ...

Thank you, Mr. David, for your insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Basically, you can either learn how to create your own indexes ...
Yes, I had mentioned in the 1st post of this thread that " I can use a python script for sorting out words (greater than 3 chars) and phrases". I could then choose the ones to be used as keywords for my index.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...Sigil does have an index creation tool.
By the way you describe sigil it seems it could help me prepare the end of the book word and phrase index. But does it also do the link between those words and phrases so that if one is clicked the reader would be led to it within the document?

Could I request a replacement of the word "polite" with a better word? Politeness is a facade, when there could be violent storms and conflicts raging within. The illustration of the inner world with "even the voices in my head let each other finish their sentences" seems like Vipassana of Dharm or Zen, which is actually a morphed form of Dhyan. This "politeness" of yours appears to be the inner equanimity and the calmness arising out of it to watch a thought pop up, evolve and then subside, like bubbles do.