Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 08-11-2023, 08:44 AM   #1
jma1
Connoisseur
jma1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Epoch Times Feed still failing

The recipe has been redirected to a new set of RSS urls. With that change, the mobi output includes only article headers (which correspond to recent articles on the web) but no article content. This is one example article.
jma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...10c06c59e700c0
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2023, 01:25 AM   #3
jma1
Connoisseur

All the article elements now appear, but out of order. The article text appears first followed by title, featured image, author byline. Moving the article body last in order would fix it. I tried changing order of classes in the keep tags but that has no effect on the output.

Also there is a 'Related Stories" box that should be deleted. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #4
jma1
Connoisseur

Sorry, this did correct by only moving the classes('post-main') line to appear before the other classes line.

So the only items are if you could remove the first line on each article which is a link to a category page (Hawaii in this example), and the 'Related Stories' box. Both are just links not relevant to reading on a kindle. Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:29 PM   #5
jma1
Connoisseur

Hi Kovid
I was able to remove the Related Stories box with a lucky guess. Also reduced the font size on the leading photo caption, but was not able to identify a tag to do likewise for captions on the other in-line photos.

Further, could not identify a tag to remove that first line linked text in each article. My changes attached.
Attached Files
File Type: recipe The Epoch Times new new_1090.recipe (2.8 KB, 54 views)
Advert
Old 08-13-2023, 12:42 PM   #6
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
the changes were already made https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...811737c99d4b51
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:39 PM   #7
jma1
Connoisseur

That version captures everything except removing tag "shortcode aspect-square" did not eliminate the first line header in the article. Looks like its only effect was to eliminate the author small bio photo. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:57 PM   #8
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
I think the first line header should indicate what article they are about to read, like business, viewpoint, political, markets etc. I could’ve made that font size smaller but there’s no right attribute to identify it.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:31 AM   #9
jma1
Connoisseur

OK that is not a big distraction when I strip away the hyperlinks (I am forever inadvertently tapping links on the kindle which go nowhere).

Only gap I noticed versus the prior version is that several Opinion articles (example) had header but no content in this latest version (but appear ok in preceding version).

I like to reduce the photo caption font size to readily distinguish that from the body text. I use the 'Inspect (Q)' in browser to see the html but the code for many sites seems to be more obtuse that ever. Is there a better way to identify the classes of text section for use in recipe? Thanks.