Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
"Polish" doesn't carry over from epub to mobi

My Kobo takes epub; girlfriend's Kindle takes mobi. I discovered the "polish" feature via this forum, and it is great at doing something eBook designers should do automatically Adds back-cover detail to the front of the book, so we can see what we are getting into first.

I use the feature on all my books, then convert to mobi for the Kindle, but the polished info doesn't stay. Even if I deleted the orginal_epub file first.

I can easily copy the data from the epub, but am not sure how to get it into the mobi. When I select "Edit" for the book, it presents the epub version.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Mobi is an archeological curiosity which can (should?) be avoided. Convert to azw3 instead and see if that works.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

No. And there is nothing wrong with mobi that I can see. Do you have some compelling information of which I am not aware?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Polish Book tool only acts on EPUB and AZW3 formats, if you want a jacket in a MOBI you need to inject the jacket into an EPUB or AZW3 via the Polish Books tool, and then convert it to MOBI.

BTW jackets can be customised to add custom metadata columns and remove others.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
beachboybogart
Connoisseur

Thanks, BetterRed. That is one benefit of AZW3, for sure. I also had to make sure the conversion to mobi included the setting Insert Metadata as page at start of book.
In fact, if I had been using that Insert Metadata option I would have been able to do what I wanted all along, without the polish function. Although it certainly looks nicer with the polish.

Thanks all for the help.