Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 09-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Subsetting fonts problem when using pseudo-classes

I was hoping to use existing code from calibre.ebooks.oeb.polish.subset, specifically subset_all_fonts, to build some extra functionality into one of my personal plugins.

The problem I'm seeing is that text which will be displayed by a CSS rule such as:
Code:
.tx1::first-line {font-family: MySmallcapsFont;}
doesn't seem to be taken into account when the existing subsetting code is deciding which characters need to be retained in the MySmallcapsFont font. In the worst-case scenario, if the above CSS rule was the only one referencing MySmallcapsFont then currently this font would be completely removed from the container.

I do understand that calibre has no idea which/how many characters will appear on the first-line but I wonder if it's possible to have some sort of compromise, i.e. keep all characters used by class="tx1", i.e. the main part of the selector. Just a personal opinion but I'd rather keep too many than too few.

If this is a non-starter then I'll just have to live with it, but if it's something you'd consider fixing/improving I'm happy to open a bug report with a sample epub.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure, sounds reasonable. Go ahead and open the bug report.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:33 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sure, sounds reasonable. Go ahead and open the bug report.
Thanks. Opened here.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Many thanks for fixing this.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:36 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You are welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote