Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2023, 06:03 PM   #541
emborikys
emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thanks!

They show up with correct location when I click on them.

Did you shrink your images? They are too small for me to make out for certain.
Sorry, I sent them to myself as small images. Was just using them to locate relevant places to click on screen if I happen to be in Chinese GUI. Can attempt again, was not sure of bandwidth limitations on uploading so many images, so I uploaded the small.
emborikys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:11 PM   #542
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It's OK, you were trying to be considerate. There is a limit on individual image size, but it is plenty for a good sized image.

Just so I undertand, sometimes an screen comes up in English and the correct selection is somewhat obvious and sometimes that same screen might come up in Chinese? When it comes up in Chinese, is the layout and location of the selections the same as on the corresponding English screen?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:32 PM   #543
emborikys
emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emborikys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Repost of screenshots; large image size

Repost of "medium" size image vs previous post of "small"

1. Type ;enter_demo in the Kindle search bar
2. Reboot the device
Jailbreak_m02.jpg
3. Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter random values for store registration
Jailbreak_m03.jpg
4. Skip searching for a demo payload
Jailbreak_m04.jpg
5. Select the "standard" demo type
Jailbreak_m05.jpg
6. Press "Done" at the prompt to sideload content.
Jailbreak_m06.jpg
7. Once the demo is setup, do the "secret gesture" (double finger tap on bottom right of screen then swipe left)
Jailbreak_m07.jpg
8. Enter the demo configuration menu by typing ;demo into the search bar
9. Select the "Sideload Content" option
Jailbreak_m09.jpg
10. Copy the contents of the LanguageBreak folder to the Kindle - merging and replacing all files
Jailbreak_m10.jpg
11. Unplug your kindle and go back to the demo menu (viz. step 8)
12. Select the "Resell Device" option press Yes/Resell
Jailbreak_m12a.jpg
Jailbreak_m12b.jpg
13. Now wait for the press power button to start
Jailbreak_m13.jpg
14. The second it appears plug your kindle back into your computer and copy the contents of the LanguageBreak folder into it once again, overwrite files then safely eject
15. Hold the power button as instructed on screen
16. A language selection menu should appear in a few seconds
17. Choose Chinese (The one above the odd Pseudot language, and/or below Japanese)
18. Your kindle should reboot and you should see some log message on the screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m02.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	204939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m03.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	204940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m04.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	204941   Click image for larger version

Name:	JailBreak_m05.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	204942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m06.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	204943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m07.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	204944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m09.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	204945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m10.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	204946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m12a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	204947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m12b.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	204948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jailbreak_m13.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	204949  
Old 11-26-2023, 06:35 PM   #544
emborikys

Quote:
It's OK, you were trying to be considerate. There is a limit on individual image size, but it is plenty for a good sized image.

Just so I undertand, sometimes an screen comes up in English and the correct selection is somewhat obvious and sometimes that same screen might come up in Chinese? When it comes up in Chinese, is the layout and location of the selections the same as on the corresponding English screen?
Reposted as "medium". The layout appears to be the same, meaning I could click "Resell" based on relative location on screen. Was good enough to dig myself out of hole, can't promise everything is one-for-one, but was a good crutch.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:12 PM   #545
emborikys

Quote:

Reread. To hopefully better answer the questions. I somehow make a mistake in the Jailbreak sequence, and end up with the langauage set to Chinese (my best guess). So from then on, it not a mix of English and Chinese screens, all screens are in Chinese.

A factory reset ' "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" empty file at the root of the Kindle' works as a recovery, but it has been quicker just to naviage Chinese GUI to retry the jailbreak from start. All the button that are need for jailbreak occur in the same location (right, fourth on list, etc.) on Chinese GUI and English GUI. Often there is only one place to click, so not a real issue. It is of most help on steps 9, 10 and 12. And, perhaps knowing "Restart" is middle choice on Step 2 if one chooses to do long hold to restart.

or one could try an follow along Chinese video mention at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=346
Old 11-27-2023, 07:38 AM   #546
CjFox
CjFox can extract oil from cheeseCjFox can extract oil from cheeseCjFox can extract oil from cheeseCjFox can extract oil from cheeseCjFox can extract oil from cheeseCjFox can extract oil from cheeseCjFox can extract oil from cheeseCjFox can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Follow https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=484 since you will need to bypass the OTA check
Brilliant. Thanks!

Quick final question. Would blocking the traffic on my router also work? Save me trying to find a login to browse the web public space.

Thanks again.
CjFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:59 AM   #547
gleniu
gleniu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hello,
I read through all the pages of this topic but still I'd like to confirm something.

Currently, I'm running 5.13.3 jailbroken by KindleBreak on my Paperwhite 4. I'm using OTARename and Screensaver hack. What is the correct procedure to update to 5.16.2.1.1 and still have the Jailbreak?

From what I understand:
1. Download 5.16.2.1.1 firmware from Amazon servers and install it locally.
2. Apply hotfix after updating by Update Your Kindle option.

Is that all? Which hotfix should I use - NiLuJe's or Marek's from this thread? Do I have to rename OTA binaries back to stock before updating?

Which KUAL version should I use after updating and installing the hotfix? Do I have to remove current KUAL before updating?

Thank you.
gleniu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:44 PM   #548
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleniu View Post
Hello,
I read through all the pages of this topic but still I'd like to confirm something.

Currently, I'm running 5.13.3 jailbroken by KindleBreak on my Paperwhite 4. I'm using OTARename and Screensaver hack. What is the correct procedure to update to 5.16.2.1.1 and still have the Jailbreak?

From what I understand:
1. Download 5.16.2.1.1 firmware from Amazon servers and install it locally.
2. Apply hotfix after updating by Update Your Kindle option.

Is that all? Which hotfix should I use - NiLuJe's or Marek's from this thread? Do I have to rename OTA binaries back to stock before updating?

Which KUAL version should I use after updating and installing the hotfix? Do I have to remove current KUAL before updating?

Thank you.
apply latest hotfix (from nilujes thread) before updating use coplate when you are on the desired version
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:06 PM   #549
mufc99
mufc99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
I am still struggling. Everytime I get to choose the Chinese language my paperwhite 3 boots and now is in Chinese. That really throws a kink in and not only that 95% of the time I can no longer get my kindle to be recognized on my computer.
I just watch this youtube video on the process. What gets me is he chooses the chinese language but when he reboots everything is still in English. this guy is not english but the video is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpaa...&index=8&t=13s.
comments appreciated from anyone.
mufc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 08:59 AM   #550
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with others

Device: Multiple Kobos, multiple Kindles
I just successfully updated my second Kindle, a PW5.

How can I determine that the hotfix has been installed correctly and successfully? KUAL runs, MRInstaller, USBNetwork and KOReader runs etc.

But how do I determine that everything works as expected? Is it enough that during a restart I get the message "****Jailbreak****"?

Cheers, Joachim

Last edited by jbaumann; 11-28-2023 at 09:51 AM.
jbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:01 AM   #551
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaumann View Post
KUAL runs, MRInstaller, USBNetwork and KOReader runs etc.
Basically, that: stuff runs ;D.

Specifically, the earliest and quickest thing you could check is that, when running KUAL, the character in the top left corner is a # and not a % (and, also, that KUAL actually runs, obviously ;p). (If it is a %, just reboot and check again; if it's still a % then, you borked the hotfix).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:45 AM   #552
gleniu
gleniu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
apply latest hotfix (from nilujes thread) before updating use coplate when you are on the desired version
Thank you very much! I've already updated, everything works as expected I had some troubles setting ScreenSaver hack back to life, but eventually it succeeded.

I really appreciate your help and all the work you do for the community!

Have a great day
gleniu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #553
jbaumann
Zealot
jbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with othersjbaumann plays well with others

Device: Multiple Kobos, multiple Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Basically, that: stuff runs ;D.

Specifically, the earliest and quickest thing you could check is that, when running KUAL, the character in the top left corner is a # and not a % (and, also, that KUAL actually runs, obviously ;p). (If it is a %, just reboot and check again; if it's still a % then, you borked the hotfix).
Ok, thanks a lot. On both my Kindles, a PW4 and a PW5, it is a "$" instead, though... Do I have to worry?

Cheers, Joachim
jbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 12:21 PM   #554
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@NiLuJe , @Marek
How can I disable this “feature” that if Kindle is being restarted while plugged in to PC it starts up at this semi-debug mode? Windows pops that says “Collecting debug info”, all books have no cover (including KUAL and KOReader).

Then I have to disconnect the cable and restart again.

It annoys me because I primarily use SSH over cable and I need to unplug it and then reset all SSH terminal sessions and SFTP folders after each restart.

Thanks!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:39 PM   #555
quoc187
quoc187 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 11th
I always come late, my Kindle had updated to 16.4.xxx when I woke it up from battery exhaustion for the first time in like 2 months. Anyway, thanks for the trick.
quoc187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreak 5.16..2.1.1, languagebreak